Author Topic: Digitize image - image shift with scan rate  (Read 2256 times)

Nick Bulloss

• Post Doc
Digitize image - image shift with scan rate
« on: February 08, 2017, 07:01:40 AM »
Hi All,
We have been using Digitize Image (for the first time) recently. We collected a nice BSE image at a slow scan rate, digitized points and then ran them. The points analyzed were not the points digitized, each was off by the same increment in Y and (largely) in X. Upon investigation we see a shift in the image position with scan rate, which (per Cameca) cannot be corrected for. I'm curious how people deal with this shift, am I resigned to checking each point after digitizing?
Thanks,
Nick

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: Digitize image - image shift with scan rate
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 08:21:32 AM »
Hi All,
We have been using Digitize Image (for the first time) recently. We collected a nice BSE image at a slow scan rate, digitized points and then ran them. The points analyzed were not the points digitized, each was off by the same increment in Y and (largely) in X. Upon investigation we see a shift in the image position with scan rate, which (per Cameca) cannot be corrected for. I'm curious how people deal with this shift, am I resigned to checking each point after digitizing?
Thanks,
Nick

Hi Nick,
I also see this on my Sx100, but in my calibration efforts which are described in a number of other topics, the hysteresis effects you seem to be describing are essentially zero at the slowest video imaging speeds.   If you need exact reproducibility for analyzing small inclusions, then you might want to utilize the "Use Beam Deflection for Position" checkbox along with the Digitize Image feature.

See the following topics for more information:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=831.0

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=329.msg5319#msg5319
The only stupid question is the one not asked!