Author Topic: Have image annotations, they will not travel  (Read 3353 times)

Doug_Meier

• Post Doc
Have image annotations, they will not travel
« on: June 20, 2016, 03:17:40 PM »
I've been placing annotations, such as scale bars, on images in PI, and when I save and reopen in PI at a later time, all of my annotations are there. However, when I try to take the image into another software package, all that appears is the clean image. I cannot find the way or figure out how to burn the annotations into the image, short of doing a screen dump to paint and cropping the images out. My forum and manual searches have yielded no solutions that I understand.

Can anyone here help me to find what I am missing?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Have image annotations, they will not travel
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 04:29:47 PM »
I've been placing annotations, such as scale bars, on images in PI, and when I save and reopen in PI at a later time, all of my annotations are there. However, when I try to take the image into another software package, all that appears is the clean image. I cannot find the way or figure out how to burn the annotations into the image, short of doing a screen dump to paint and cropping the images out. My forum and manual searches have yielded no solutions that I understand.

Hi Doug,
You are not missing anything.  We used to have a "burn-in" feature in the previous version of Probe Image (Micro Image), but it went away at some point, though it would be easy to add back in.

The idea is that by default we don't want to destroy any image pixels, so the annotation layer is separate from the image layer. If you move the PrbImg file, which is where the annotation data is stored, to another computer, you will see the annotations on the image on the new computer.

Until we add the "burn-in" feature back in Probe Image, you might want to just maximize the image window, then do an <alt> <PrtScn> to capture the image and annotations in the active window and then paste the clipboard image into any imaging app.
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"