Author Topic: JEOL Airlock Plasma Cleaner  (Read 4740 times)

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
JEOL Airlock Plasma Cleaner
« on: September 01, 2015, 02:24:58 PM »
Does anyone out there have the JEOL airlock plasma cleaner?

I'm curious: is it a problem when you have a large area of epoxy surrounding a sample?  One, does it remove the carbon coat on the epoxy and hence make the epoxy non-conductive again, and two, does it end up depositing some hydrocarbons from the epoxy on the sample surface?
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Dan R

• Professor
    • GE Research Materials Characterization
Re: JEOL Airlock Plasma Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 06:43:07 AM »
We are getting one installed in January... I'll let you know how it works out! I am worried that the plasma cleaner will remove my carbon coating!
-Dan

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 07:45:31 AM »
We are getting one installed in January... I'll let you know how it works out! I am worried that the plasma cleaner will remove my carbon coating!
-Dan

Hi Dan,
Cool.

Yes, exactly my worry as well.

I still would like to see an "in situ" spot cleaner that can be run just prior to each acquisition to clean only a 100 um (or so) area under the beam.  We really don't need to clean the entire sample after all!

Dan R

• Professor
    • GE Research Materials Characterization
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 01:04:56 PM »
I'm especially worried for my standard block over time. I anticipate that I will only use this for larger samples and I can use the bench top cleaner we have for smaller samples that will go in with the standard block. I HOPE that it will help cut down on hydrocarbon contamination issues we are having -- I'll keep you updated.
-Dan

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 12:24:33 PM »
I'm especially worried for my standard block over time. I anticipate that I will only use this for larger samples and I can use the bench top cleaner we have for smaller samples that will go in with the standard block. I HOPE that it will help cut down on hydrocarbon contamination issues we are having -- I'll keep you updated.
-Dan

I also worry about epoxy getting mobilized and re-deposited elsewhere on the samples during the airlock plasma cleaning.  Do they recommend *not* cleaning epoxy mounted materials using this method?