Author Topic: Internet setup  (Read 3034 times)

Nick Bulloss

• Post Doc
Internet setup
« on: May 23, 2016, 04:20:48 PM »
I have a Cameca SXFive, a Thermo EDS system and a PfE computer. All are connected to each other via ethernet. Which computer do people generally connect to the outside world? I plan to connect remotely into one of the systems (e.g. with UltraVNC Viewer or Team Viewer)  and then remote desktop to the others. My inclination is to have the PfE computer connected to the internet as that is the one I would most want to directly access. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best configuration for such a system?
Thanks,
Nick

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: Internet setup
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 04:31:31 PM »
I have a Cameca SXFive, a Thermo EDS system and a PfE computer. All are connected to each other via ethernet. Which computer do people generally connect to the outside world? I plan to connect remotely into one of the systems (e.g. with UltraVNC Viewer or Team Viewer)  and then remote desktop to the others. My inclination is to have the PfE computer connected to the internet as that is the one I would most want to directly access. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best configuration for such a system?
Thanks,
Nick

It's good to have all three connected to WWW but the PFE computer especially as I update the software about once a week.

You can update PFE (and CalcZAF) easily using the Help menu in each app.
john
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

jon_wade

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 08:02:05 AM »
we connect thru a NAS box which team viewer happily punches thru

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 08:06:53 AM »
we connect thru a NAS box which team viewer happily punches thru

Hi Jon,
What is an "NAS box" and what exactly does it allow you to do?
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

jon_wade

• Professor
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 01:15:34 PM »
network attached storage box - basically, a small linux pc in a box with a bunch of hard drives.  The probe/SEM is connected to it as is the network.  Our NAS box sits between instrument and our network -  the outside world only sees the NAS box, but the instrument sees the internet.  Users write to it, and can pick up their data on the other side of the network (its also RAIDed for what its worth) - no need to ever see a USB stick plugged into the machine ever again!.  I'm using a Synology box,  its trouble free and it works a treat!

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 01:27:25 PM »
network attached storage box - basically, a small linux pc in a box with a bunch of hard drives.  The probe/SEM is connected to it as is the network.  Our NAS box sits between instrument and our network -  the outside world only sees the NAS box, but the instrument sees the internet.  Users write to it, and can pick up their data on the other side of the network (its also RAIDed for what its worth) - no need to ever see a USB stick plugged into the machine ever again!.  I'm using a Synology box,  its trouble free and it works a treat!

Hi Jon,
I thought that's what you meant because I use them myself, but wanted to be sure.  However, I think what Nick wanted was a way to get a remote desktop product such as TeamViewer to be able to connect to all the computers in his lab.

Do you know of such a technology that would allow seeing multiple remote desktops from a single network connection?

I'm using VNC, which works fine but requires a WWW connection to each computer.
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

jon_wade

• Professor
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 03:29:58 PM »
you can use Teamviewer through the Nas box iirc.  set team viewer up on each individual computer connected to the box, and go thru it. 

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 03:39:39 PM »
you can use Teamviewer through the Nas box iirc.  set team viewer up on each individual computer connected to the box, and go thru it.

OMG.

Can you post the link for the unit you liked?
john
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 03:43:25 PM by Probeman »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

BenjaminWade

• Professor
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 06:26:14 PM »
I too would be very interested in this. Are you saying Jon that your PfE computer and probe/microscope control computer are both connected to the NAS via an ethernet, and then the NAS itself is networked to the WWW? I am rank amateur in networking, does the PfE and probe computer both still have their individual IP's?

Nick Bulloss

• Post Doc
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 10:20:05 PM »
With our FESEM I have a microscope PC, support PC, microanalysis PC (and soon a Nabity NPGS PC). We only have the support PC connected to the network so I can remotely connect to that PC via VNC (which is in turn connected to the other two) and then use Windows Remote Desktop to connect to the other two PCs. This is clearly clunky compared to the NAS box or individually connecting the other PCs.

If I have plenty of ethernet ports in the room is there any difference between individually networking the PCs or connecting through the NAS? Either approach would necessitate installing additional ethernet cards in each computer.

Thanks for the input.
Nick