Author Topic: Removing "hot pixels" from map in CalcImage/Surfer?  (Read 3782 times)

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
Removing "hot pixels" from map in CalcImage/Surfer?
« on: November 20, 2015, 02:01:06 PM »
Dear all,

I still have a problem with my machine where spurious intensities (always 256, 512 or rarely 768 counts) show up randomly in my maps (on all 5 spectrometers, maybe the electronics are going "bad"?). This not only looks ugly but we are also doing a lot of quant maps to estimate bulk compositions, so they can skew the data quite a bit.

Does anyone know a good way to exclude the false data points in either CalcImage or Surfer or elsewhere (and re-import) to remove these pixels (my Thermosoftware has a magic "suppress hot pixels" button)? Maybe already has a Matlab script for this to run? Extra points for "filling in" the hot pixel with interpolated data or something similar.

I hope I can eventually figure out what the problem is but until then I would like to save the already acquired maps. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: Removing "hot pixels" from map in CalcImage/Surfer?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 08:47:10 AM »
Dear all,

I still have a problem with my machine where spurious intensities (always 256, 512 or rarely 768 counts) show up randomly in my maps (on all 5 spectrometers, maybe the electronics are going "bad"?). This not only looks ugly but we are also doing a lot of quant maps to estimate bulk compositions, so they can skew the data quite a bit.

Does anyone know a good way to exclude the false data points in either CalcImage or Surfer or elsewhere (and re-import) to remove these pixels (my Thermosoftware has a magic "suppress hot pixels" button)? Maybe already has a Matlab script for this to run? Extra points for "filling in" the hot pixel with interpolated data or something similar.

I hope I can eventually figure out what the problem is but until then I would like to save the already acquired maps. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

First of all: throw an oscilloscope on the spectro pre-amps power supply and look for noise spikes!

As for your existing data, after you quant your maps in CalcImage, you can go into Surfer and select this button:

and then adjust your color levels manually as seen here:

Or even better, simply use the log weight percent output in CalcImage as seen here, for visualizing high and low concentration distributions:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=55.msg509#msg509

and

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=107.msg402#msg402

You'll still see the noise spikes, but you'll also be able to the see the low level variations.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 08:51:43 AM by Probeman »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!