Author Topic: Exporting Images/Maps From Probe Image  (Read 4838 times)

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Exporting Images/Maps From Probe Image
« on: November 30, 2014, 11:12:23 AM »
Although CalcImage automatically imports the x-ray maps and analog signal images from Probe Image when performing x-ray map quantification, what if you wanted to simply import a Probe Image, say a large area BSE stage scan image into Probe for EPMA, in order to display digitized or analysis positions on the BSE image? 

One method is to export the image (or map) in Probe Image using the File | Export File menu and select the Surfer 7 Grid File menu, then simply open PictureSnap in PFE and use the Run | Display PictureSnap menu from the main log window and then select the File | Import Grid File As Image menu from the PictureSnap window.

This works fine, but unless you need large area stage scanned images imported into PFE, there is another much easier method described here (without using Probe Image):

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=42.msg2017#msg2017
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: Exporting Images/Maps From Probe Image
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 07:01:23 PM »
Ken Severin reports that Probe Image is not exporting GRD files from a JEOL configuration properly. This will be fixed in a subsequent version (Cameca instrument configurations are fine- because the images are cartesian). See here:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=101.msg369#msg369

Anyway, in the meantime I will add an Import PrbImg menu to PictureSnap, but the the mean, meantime your best bet is to import the PrbImg file into CalcImage using the File menu, where it will be saved as a GRD file.  Then open *that* GRD file in the Probe for EPMA PictureSnap window.   :o
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 07:15:21 PM by Probeman »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Les Moore

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 10:07:47 PM »
Hi,

A simple trick I just worked out is to import the map data (counts, concentration, BSE etc) into excel.
Note: You need to output into an excel friendly input format.   

You can then use conditional formatting and use a three level format - black minimum, white maximum and grey for mid level.
If you then make the cell size small enough and shrink the whole sheet, you get a rendering of the image.
You can then cut out regions you want, name ranges etc so you can use all manner of 3rd party software to present your data as, say, a 3D flythrough (SAS or IDL <- I wish I had this), multidimensional histograms, correlation mapping etc etc.

Les

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 06:29:53 PM »
The latest version 10.5.4 now has a new menu to import PrbImg files directly from Probe Image into PictureSnap as seen here:

John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 02:04:57 PM »
Ken Severin reports that Probe Image is not exporting GRD files from a JEOL configuration properly. This will be fixed in a subsequent version (Cameca instrument configurations are fine- because the images are cartesian). See here:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=101.msg369#msg369

Anyway, in the meantime I will add an Import PrbImg menu to PictureSnap, but the the mean, meantime your best bet is to import the PrbImg file into CalcImage using the File menu, where it will be saved as a GRD file.  Then open *that* GRD file in the Probe for EPMA PictureSnap window.   :o

The latest beta of Probe Image now exports JEOL images as GRD file format properly. Please contact me if you would like to test it.

Edit by John: Now available from all download links.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 09:34:19 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"