Author Topic: Probewin.log files  (Read 2125 times)

UoL EPMA LAB

• Post Doc
Probewin.log files
« on: May 23, 2017, 01:48:29 AM »
Hi

Can someone please enlighten me.

When running in logging mode, should the probewin.log file overwrite and renew itself everytime PfE is restarted? (or does it append?)

Which is the correct home directory for the log file under v11 of the software?

Thanks

Richard W

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Probewin.log files
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 12:06:25 PM »
Can someone please enlighten me.

When running in logging mode, should the probewin.log file overwrite and renew itself everytime PfE is restarted? (or does it append?)

Which is the correct home directory for the log file under v11 of the software?

Hi Richard,
These are good questions and I should clarify them.

If you are asking about the probewin.log driver logging file which can be enabled from the Probewin.ini file or the menu shown here:

This file is always appended to and is saved in the Documents folder of the currently logged in user.  For Win 7, 8 and 10 this is the C:\Users\<user name>\My Documents folder.   Because it is always appended to and because it can grow very large over time with the low level communications, you never want to just leave it logging all the time or you will quickly get a gigabyte sized file in a few days of running!  In fact I should probably remove this menu, but the software does warn you if you open the app with this flag set!

Also note that this file is only for debugging the low level communications between the software driver and the instrument and therefore hasn't be utilized in many years since we got all the communication issues worked out with JEOL and Cameca.  So I assume that is *not* the logging you are talking about.

If you are asking about the "Save To Disk Log" menu as shown here:

This menu allows the user to record all information logged to the main PFE log window, to a disk file with the extension .out.  The default .out file is the name of the current probe data file. This file is created whenever this menu is selected and is only appended to within the current probe run. It is saved to the folder selected by the user when you are prompted for the file name as seen here:

If this isn't the information you wanted please let me know.
john
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 07:56:48 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"