Author Topic: Synthetic Zircon (trace elements in)  (Read 4544 times)

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Synthetic Zircon (trace elements in)
« on: December 01, 2014, 01:15:03 PM »
I have two synthetic zircons in my standard collection. Both are clear single crystals and seemingly quite stoichiometric and pure. The first zircon crystal (#256) was grown by John Hanchar at Memorial University in New Foundland and the second (#257) was grown by Lynn Boatner at Oak Ridge National Laboratory some time ago.

What I would like to know if whether there is any data available for trace elements in these materials as I unfortunately do not have enough material for bulk ICP-MS or other trace characterization techniques. Perhaps the purity of the starting materials is known by someone?

Has anyone any trace element information on these materials?
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: Synthetic Zircon (trace elements in)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 04:11:34 PM »
If the Memorial zircon is 91500, the compositions are published in Wiedenbeck et al., 1995 and Wiedenbeck et al., 2004, both in  Geostandards Newsletter. I only have the later paper (uploaded here).
No, it was grown by John Hanchar so it's synthetic.
john

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: Synthetic Zircon (trace elements in)
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 02:52:51 PM »
I've done some measurements and using careful off-peak measurements I get about 200 PPM +/- 80 PPM Hf in Lynn Boatner's synthetic zircon. A little more in Hanchar's zircon.

If I assume that the other elements in the Oak Ridge zircon are all zero... I know, I know, this is what I get (see attached).

If you are wondering why the MAN bgd corrected data has better precision than the off-peak bgd corrected data (and yes, you should be wondering because the MAN acquisition take 1/2 the time!), please see this topic:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=307.0
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 03:53:38 PM by John Donovan »