Author Topic: WDS detector definition  (Read 1320 times)

divakar

• Student
WDS detector definition
« on: March 12, 2022, 07:25:18 AM »
I am new to both this forum and DTSA-II. I see a number of posts dealing with WDS data. However, in DTSA-II, I see an option to add EDS detectors alone. Am I missing something here? How would I go about defining a WDS detector? I have a SEM on which a WDS detector is installed and would like to simulate corresponding spectra.

Nicholas Ritchie

• Professor
    • NIST DTSA-II
Re: WDS detector definition
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 05:00:19 AM »
DTSA-II is really designed for EDS.  WDS detectors are very difficult to simulate because the efficiency functions are not readily modeled.  As as result, I've never made an attempt.  The best option for WDS is to simulate the sample and standards as EDS spectra then use the tabulated intensity values on the report tab to compute the k-ratio.
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are"
  - Teddy Roosevelt

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: WDS detector definition
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 11:21:40 AM »
I have a SEM on which a WDS detector is installed and would like to simulate corresponding spectra.

For WDS spectra "simulation", an excellent alternative is to utilize Sandrin Feig's "EPMA Method Development" tool:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=743.0

These are actual WDS spectrometer scans and while it won't have data specific to your WDS spectrometer (which one is it?), the software contains full range spectrometer scans for both JEOL and Cameca WDS spectrometers on a large number of materials.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 01:42:11 PM by Probeman »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!