Author Topic: SX-100 Complete or in parts (decommissioning)  (Read 1002 times)

marcorijnders

• Student
SX-100 Complete or in parts (decommissioning)
« on: February 10, 2022, 07:53:00 AM »
We are decommissioning our SX-100 which was installed in 2005. Have asked Cameca if they are interested, but they don't seem to be keen to take it back. Would anyone be interested in taking over (parts of) the machine? It is not functional at the moment but the issue is probably minor. Most of the parts are still in good condition. Cost to you will be minimal, probably only shipping.
If interested, please send me an e-mail at marco.rijnders@tatasteeleurope.com. We are looking to dismantle the whole machine before the summer of 2022.

sem-geologist

• Professor
Re: SX-100 Complete or in parts (decommissioning)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 01:31:03 AM »
We are decommissioning our SX-100 which was installed in 2005. Have asked Cameca if they are interested, but they don't seem to be keen to take it back. Would anyone be interested in taking over (parts of) the machine? It is not functional at the moment but the issue is probably minor. Most of the parts are still in good condition. Cost to you will be minimal, probably only shipping.
If interested, please send me an e-mail at marco.rijnders@tatasteeleurope.com. We are looking to dismantle the whole machine before the summer of 2022.

Could You give a bit more details: like how many spectrometers and XTALS are equipped, VME electronics are new or old type? Is it still bundled with old Unix PC? Where it will need to be shipped from (Nederlands or UK)? What and opportunity!, If we would have place/ space, I would definitively take it as a whole.

P.S. I am quite surprised at such early decommissioning. We are using older SX100 from 2000 (PCB cards have marking of QC in 1998 so probably manufactured even a bit earlier) - and that is generation of easy-repairable machines - still kicking strong and being absolutely useful (24/7).

marcorijnders

• Student
Re: SX-100 Complete or in parts (decommissioning)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 03:30:11 AM »
Our SX-100 has the following configuration. Tungsten filament. Five spectrometers, all flow counters.
Crystals. SP1: LTAP, LPC2; SP2: PC3, TAP, PET, LiF; SP3: LPET, LLiF; SP4: LTAP, LPC1; SP5: LPET, LLiF
BSE detector: broken. EDX (Rontec XFlash series 1000): broken.
Roughing pumps not included.
Liquid nitrogen anticontamination device.
Software version PeakSight 4.2. Old PC, running windows XP (not Unix).
VME electronics - i don't know what you mean by that.
It is true that the decommissioning is early. I would have given it another ten years of service life. However, demand for EPMA work is thin in our sector and operational / maintenance costs are relatively high.