Author Topic: Problem with mc.suggestTransitions in Microscopium?  (Read 767 times)

lukmuk

• Graduate
Problem with mc.suggestTransitions in Microscopium?
« on: December 10, 2021, 05:41:02 AM »
Hello all,

I am simulating EDXS spectra for TEM samples with DTSA-II (see attached script) with Microscopium (v01-06) and encountered a weird error message (see attached png) for some elements (here Ti).
The same code runs fine on my Lorentz version. I don't know if it is a bug, or some changes to the code have to be made.

Also, there is probably an easier way to grab the elements for suggestTransitions than with my code (e.g. "HO" from "H2O" from the stoichiometry... Any hints are welcome  :)
Code: [Select]
#Grab and add x-ray transitions
e2 = film.stoichiometryString().split(',')
e = [tmp.split("(")[0].encode("ascii") for tmp in e2]
estr = ''.join(e)
xrts=mc.suggestTransitions(estr, e0) # define the desired transitions for X-ray emission images (up to e0)

Related to that: What do you think of adding free-standing thin films (i.e. TEM samples) as an option to the "Simulation alien"?
I think this would make it easier for new users to simulate TEM samples, which seems to work quite well from my experience.

Best regards
lukmuk

Nicholas Ritchie

• Professor
    • NIST DTSA-II
Re: Problem with mc.suggestTransitions in Microscopium?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 09:02:20 AM »
This is fixed in the pre-release version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17YAXRYkQ9vAQ509AwP5eZagdGfShX-dE/view?usp=sharing

The Simulation Alien can actually simulate thin films by using a substrate of "None" but not multi-layer thin films.  Is it multi-layer thin films you are interested in?

Take care, Nicholas
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are"
  - Teddy Roosevelt

lukmuk

• Graduate
Re: Problem with mc.suggestTransitions in Microscopium?
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 09:40:21 AM »
This is fixed in the pre-release version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17YAXRYkQ9vAQ509AwP5eZagdGfShX-dE/view?usp=sharing

The Simulation Alien can actually simulate thin films by using a substrate of "None" but not multi-layer thin films.  Is it multi-layer thin films you are interested in?

Take care, Nicholas

Hello Nicholas,

thank your for the quick reply and for the link to the pre-release version. I just tested it; it works as expected.
I also never realized, that one can specify "None" as a material :-X. In this case, your suggestions is perfect for most use-cases and multi-layer thin films may be really better be left to scripting.

Thank you again and take care!
lukmuk