Author Topic: Stage Map File Sharing (Please provide examples from your lab!)  (Read 4074 times)

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Stage Map File Sharing (Please provide examples from your lab!)
« on: January 22, 2015, 09:06:35 AM »
All,
The StageMap window in PFE and other PS apps, can contain a large number of alternative stage map images for navigating your sample stage. Depending on your sample block you might want to use one image that shows your standard positions, such as this one in use in my lab:

On the other hand, some labs prefer a high resolution scan such as this image from Cal Tech:

On the other hand some labs require some customized holders such as this one our machine shop made for us:

To facilitate the sharing of these StageMap images, because other labs might find them useful, I've zipped them up and linked to them here:

http://probesoftware.com/download/StageMaps.zip

If your lab has created any other images that might be worth sharing with other labs, please post them as attachments in this topic.

Currently one must edit the Probewin.ini file to add a new StageMap file and calibrate it. This editing and calibration process is roughly documented documented in the User Reference manual, but we will post a simple tutorial on this process soon... but the stage map calibration is easily performed using the "@" button in the StageMap window as seen here:

In the meantime it will be helpful to mention that because one must use a Microsoft vector image format (*.WMF) for this stage map images.  This image format is still supported by Microsoft PowerPoint, but not by many other imaging applications. One "freeware" exception is IrfanView, which has a number of other useful features such as the ability to capture the mouse cursor in screen shots. This application is available on your PFE Installation DVD in the Installation_add-ons folder under Imaging Utilities and also linked here:

http://www.irfanview.com/

In general a good color scan using flat bed scanner works great...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 07:55:02 AM by John Donovan »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Stage Map File Sharing (Please provide examples from your lab!)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 07:29:42 AM »
I've improved the StageMap calibration feature so the software can now automatically save your calibrations to the Probewin.ini file using the new "Save StageMap Calibration" button see here:

Works for both JEOL and Cameca stage maps images.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 11:49:39 AM »
This is an old topic, but while I'm thinking about image calibrations, I should also point out that the StageMap calibration process is very similar to the image calibration process. Both require two points and are automatically saved by clicking the Save... buttons in their respective windows as seen here:

This window has been slightly modified recently:

« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 07:47:45 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 10:07:32 AM »
I also modified the StageMap calibration window to display the calibration for the currently selected StageMap as seen here:

Again, this is a comfort to me when tuning the calibration of the StageMap image...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 07:47:56 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400