Author Topic: sysinfo.ocx  (Read 4099 times)

Ben Buse

• Professor
sysinfo.ocx
« on: April 04, 2017, 12:40:04 AM »
Hi,

In case this affects anyone else. I had a problem loading PFE - as sysinfo.ocx had gone.

The virus scanner had detected worm win 32 bluber and removed this and other files. I think this was a false alert.

Microsoft notes

NOTE: On March 31, 2017, an incorrect detection for our cloud-based protection for Worm:Win32/Bluber.A was identified and immediately fixed.

To ensure that this issue is remediated, you can do a forced daily update to download your Microsoft antimalware and antispyware software. The fix has been deployed in signature build 1.239.530.0 on March 31, 2017, 2:50 PM PDT.

https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/encyclopedia/entry.aspx?Name=Worm%3AWin32%2FBluber.A

Ben

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: sysinfo.ocx
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 10:50:24 AM »
In case this affects anyone else. I had a problem loading PFE - as sysinfo.ocx had gone.

The virus scanner had detected worm win 32 bluber and removed this and other files. I think this was a false alert.

Hi Ben,
So after the Microsoft anti-virus was fixed, you just re-ran the PFE msi installer and all was OK?
john
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Ben Buse

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 11:50:24 AM »
Hi John

Yes that's right - all went smoothly. (I did wonder about getting the virus scanner to restore the files - but I thought I'd play safe)

Ben

BenjaminWade

• Professor
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 04:46:33 PM »
Hi all
Late reply but just saw this. Last week when I was updating PfE I didn't get a sysinfo.ocx error, but I got a RICHTX32.OCX error and that it was missing. I had to manually download it and put it in the sysWOW64 folder and then PfE installed fine.

Cheers

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 05:31:43 PM »
Late reply but just saw this. Last week when I was updating PfE I didn't get a sysinfo.ocx error, but I got a RICHTX32.OCX error and that it was missing. I had to manually download it and put it in the sysWOW64 folder and then PfE installed fine.

Were you also using the Microsoft Defender anti-virus software?   The CalcZAF.msi installer (if you re-run it so it's in "repair" mode), should re-install all essential components...
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

BenjaminWade

• Professor
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 05:39:45 PM »
Hmm no, Windows Defender is turned off. This is on a University PC that is running Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection Client as the Antivirus. The message that popped up about the RICHTX32.OCX error wasn't an antivirus message though, it was a general windows message that said ""component richtx32.ocx or one of it's dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid".

Something to do with Visual basic runtime files packaged in with PfE? Not sure why only I got this message though, no doubt something my end. I just downloaded the file manually, placed it in the SysWOW64 folder and registered it manually.

Ben Buse

• Professor
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 04:19:49 AM »
Hi,

Might be worth checking the history tab in Microsoft forefront endpoint protection - that's were I found it had removed the missing sysinfo.ocx file.

Ben
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 04:21:27 AM by Ben Buse »

BenjaminWade

• Professor
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 09:11:45 PM »
Hi Ben
Thanks, had a look and its totally empty. Not sure what happened to my file~

Cheers