Author Topic: DTSA-II Jupiter on Mac  (Read 4719 times)

Mike Matthews

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
DTSA-II Jupiter on Mac
« on: May 18, 2016, 01:34:25 PM »
OK, I'll start the ball rolling on this one. I've installed and been running Iona on my Mac without problem and have just tried to install Jupiter. This latest version unpacks an exe file rather than an app file and the installation notes say that Mac users need to create their own links. I'm not sure what this means. I've found a pair of programs called Wine and Winebottler which allow .exe files to be run in OSX as if they were app files (in fact Winebottler gives you the option of creating an app wrapper to run the exe from). Is this the best way to run it?

Nicholas Ritchie

• Professor
    • NIST DTSA-II
Re: DTSA-II Jupiter on Mac
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 07:19:41 AM »
Mike, I'm working on Mac support but without a Mac of my own it is difficult.  However, you should be able to get DTSA-II to run on a Mac today without any wrappers (like Wine/Winebottle).  DTSA-II requires Java 1.8 and nothing more.  The EXE for windows is a convenience to make Java look more application-like on Windows boxes.  However, so long as you have the latest Java JRE (Java Runtime Environment) in either Windows or OS X, you can run the jar file "dtsa2.jar" directly.  From the command line, you can do "java -jar dtsa2.jar" or from the file explorer you can simply double-click the jar file.

I'll continue to try to learn how to make a nice, pretty OS X app bundle and eventually I'll learn to play friendly with OS X.  For the moment, this is the temporary solution.

Please keep me in the loop.  I'd like some feedback from a Mac user to help me to help other Mac users.
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are"
  - Teddy Roosevelt

jrminter

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 05:07:41 PM »
I am running Jupiter on my MacBook (El Capitan). I just made an alias for the Jupiter jar file, placed it on the desktop. Double clicking on it starts the application. I have not encountered any problems.

Thomas Lam

• Student
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 10:40:07 AM »
Yes! That worked for me too.  Having a forum like this here is great idea.