Author Topic: EDS interface flag in probewin.ini  (Read 3526 times)

David Steele

• Professor
EDS interface flag in probewin.ini
« on: April 26, 2015, 08:13:38 PM »
Hi John,

We have two off-line PC situations re PfE:

1)   data processing mode (i.e. not “attached” to the microprobe and only Analyze! and Plot! tabs available)
2)   full demo mode (i.e. “attached” to the microprobe and all four tabs available....)

“Users” who wish to have a copy of PfE on their laptop/PC will normally work in data processing mode, whereas myself and (I presume) the new incumbent (HC) use PfE off-line in full demo mode.

Question: Should the EDSSpectraInterfaceType = 0 (found as part of line 238 in the probewin.ini config file on my PC) be used for both above situations, or should EDSSpectraInterfaceType = 5 (Thermo NSS) be used for full demo mode (OR only on the EPMA itself with the EDS hardware attached)?

Cheers,
DAvid
QUT

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: EDS interface flag in probewin.ini
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 10:12:19 PM »
1)   data processing mode (i.e. not “attached” to the microprobe and only Analyze! and Plot! tabs available)
2)   full demo mode (i.e. “attached” to the microprobe and all four tabs available....)

Hi David,
Good question!

Really, for almost all situations I would say: just install the Thermo NSS software and be done with it.  You can even run the Thermo SystemSIXSim.exe app first to simulate EDS spectral acquisition (connection to "hardware")...

The only reason for the Penepma (EDSSpectraInterfaceType=0) mode is for testing EDS peaking stripping routines generated by Penepma.  The Penepma "demo" mode also gives spectra suitable for quantitative analysis.

But for data reprocessing, the Thermo NSS software is what you will want to install for off-line WDS-EDS processing.
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 08:41:10 AM »

Hi David,
Good question!

Really, for almost all situations I would say: just install the Thermo NSS software and be done with it.  You can even run the Thermo SystemSIXSim.exe app first to simulate EDS spectral acquisition (connection to "hardware")...

The only reason for the Penepma (EDSSpectraInterfaceType=0) mode is for testing EDS peaking stripping routines generated by Penepma.  The Penepma "demo" mode also gives spectra suitable for quantitative analysis.

But for data reprocessing, the Thermo NSS software is what you will want to install for off-line WDS-EDS processing.
john

I should add that the Thermo NSS demo mode (when SystemSIXSim.exe is running), always produces a Cu-Al spectrum...  anyone know the actual composition of that material (just for fun)?

The Penepma EDS acquire demo mode will produce actual spectra for the specified standard (which can be quantified along with the demo WDS elements) or a random composition if the sample is an unknown.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 11:32:33 AM »
Here is an example of a "demo" EDS spectra acquired in PFE using the Penepma Monte Carlo code running inside Probe for EPMA:

« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 08:03:45 PM by John Donovan »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!