Author Topic: Triangular scan  (Read 4439 times)

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Triangular scan
« on: September 20, 2016, 07:49:20 AM »
HI all,
Does anyone know what a "triangular scan" is on a JEOL EPMA?  It's related to stage scans and beam scanning. I suspect this "triangular scan" method is only available for 8230/8530 instruments.

What exactly does it do and what parameters does the JEOL GUI need you to provide?
john
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 11:58:40 AM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Ben Buse

• Professor
Re: Triangular scan
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 09:33:33 AM »
Hi John,

On my software I don't have a triangular scan but I guess its related to the free shapes - I have a circle where using two points you can tell it to map a circle within a bounding rectangle. It moves the stage very fast over the areas outside the circle - and slows down and maps the pixels within the circle.

It also has a polygon function where you move the stage to each corner of the polygon - again within a bounding rectangle.

I guess a triangle you'd move the stage to the three points of the triangle to mark out a triangle within the bounding box.

Ben

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 12:43:34 PM »
On my software I don't have a triangular scan but I guess its related to the free shapes - I have a circle where using two points you can tell it to map a circle within a bounding rectangle. It moves the stage very fast over the areas outside the circle - and slows down and maps the pixels within the circle.

It also has a polygon function where you move the stage to each corner of the polygon - again within a bounding rectangle.

I guess a triangle you'd move the stage to the three points of the triangle to mark out a triangle within the bounding box.

Hi Ben,
Yes, it may be related, I'm not sure.

Here is the documentation I have on the "line analysis" and "area analysis" stage scan commands that I'm trying to understand. First the macro parameters:

12) Triangular scan width (1/2 width, imaging coordinate system)
Data type   :unsigned short
Data   :0 to 23169

13) Triangular scan speed
Data type   :unsigned short
Data   :1 to 13

And here is a description (attached below). My question is: what is this feature utilized for?  Does it allow the beam to be scanning while the stage is scanning?
john
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 12:46:00 PM by Probeman »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Ben Buse

• Professor
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 01:25:22 AM »
Curious.