Author Topic: Data Output Options  (Read 6244 times)

Dan R

• Professor
    • GE Research Materials Characterization
Data Output Options
« on: October 28, 2013, 12:41:12 PM »
Hi all-
I have a quick question that doesn't appear answered in the help file:
Is the analytical uncertainty reported for a given element (El %ERR) the 1 sigma or 2 sigma value?
-Dan

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Data Output Options
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
Hi Dan,
It's one sigma.

You can see that here in the User Reference Manual PDF (available from the PFE Help menu) if you search on "analytical sensitivity":

and also here in the Probewin help file available from the Help menu also:

Also here in the log window (if you use the Calculate Detection Limits checkbox in the Calculation Options dialog from the Analyze! window):

Sorry to "pile on", but just I love to show off how well documented the software really is!  ;)
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Dan R

• Professor
    • GE Research Materials Characterization
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 04:58:48 AM »
John-
While typing in 'Analytical Sensitivity' into the help file may be obvious for you, others may look for the variable names in the output file. This is the help file that was called up when I searched for 'output' . I'm glad that your documentation includes the equations used, but I would just suggest adding a hyperlink for some non-obvious variable names that require a little more information (e.g., CDL99 for me is intuitive -- but may not be for other people--, but %Err is not).
-Dan

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 09:39:11 AM »
Hi Dan,
Excellent point- I forgot about the F1 context sensitive help in the User Specified Output dialog!

You know what that means?  It means that everything can be improved even more!

So, I'll add the sigma values to that section of the documentation... thanks!
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 06:41:04 PM »
PFE documentation updated (v. 10.1.7)
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 11:00:06 AM »
Here's a completely different and somewhat newly modified data output option that works very nicely in PFE for the calculation of "chemical ages" of monazites, by measuring U, Th, Pb (and Y and La for interference corrections on Pb). From the Analyze! window Calculation Option dialog one can turn this option on or off for selected samples as seen here:

In addition please note the use of the calculation options for specifying CePO4 by difference so one obtains an accurate matrix correction without measuring all the REEs elements (they all produce similar matrix effects for the trace elements). This option produces the following output to the log window including the calculated U from Pb, Th from Pb, calculated Pb and chemical age:

Note the approximately 50% relative interference correction of Th interfering with U ma!

The TIMS age of this sample, Moacyr monazite is around 506 Mya, so we are within a single (rough) standard deviation. For export of this data one can also use the Output | Output U, Th and Pb Age Calculations and obtain Excel output as seen here:

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 03:17:35 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 02:25:43 PM »
Julien Allaz made a suggestion recently that we include the U, Th, Pb *microprobe age* output in the user specified output options as seen here:

We also modified "chemical age" to microprobe age" were it is visible to the user. Apparently some people feel strongly about this.   :)
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Julien

• Professor
  • The truth is out there...
    • Geoloweb - J. Allaz personal website
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 11:38:53 PM »
You rock! Thanks John!

For the little story, any age, whether it is obtained with isotope or with element is chemical in essence. Hence the change from the confusing term "chemical age" to "microprobe age", which clearly indicate which instrument is employed :)

Julien