Author Topic: Re-installing PfE and PI with .pha file missing  (Read 3269 times)

Dan R

• Professor
    • GE Research Materials Characterization
Re-installing PfE and PI with .pha file missing
« on: November 16, 2015, 05:25:47 AM »
I recently had to reinstall both PFE and PI on my instrument machine. On initial start-up, PI had a problem and could not find a .pha file -- as a consequence PI could not "Read" in current spectrometer conditions. This file was no where to be found in the main PFE directory until I ran an initial Peak Search and PHA scan --> this apparently generated a .pha file that I was able to get PI to identify and the problem appears to be solved.

UPDATE: I tried running a quick map to make sure that PI would work and I get the following error:
1. if a WDS spectrometer is checked to acquire:
Probe returned JEOL error -5: maximum logical unit number error  Occurred during setting PHA.
2. if only an Analog signal is set to acquire:
Probe returned JEOL error -5: maximum logical unit number error  Occurred during on-peak SampleGroup() processing.

Any ideas what is causing this? Thanks,

-Dan
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 07:45:18 AM by Dan Ruscitto »

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Re-installing PfE and PI with .pha file missing
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 07:57:41 AM »
I recently had to reinstall both PFE and PI on my instrument machine. On initial start-up, PI had a problem and could not find a .pha file -- as a consequence PI could not "Read" in current spectrometer conditions. This file was no where to be found in the main PFE directory until I ran an initial Peak Search and PHA scan --> this apparently generated a .pha file that I was able to get PI to identify and the problem appears to be solved.

UPDATE: I tried running a quick map to make sure that PI would work and I get the following error:
1. if a WDS spectrometer is checked to acquire:
Probe returned JEOL error -5: maximum logical unit number error  Occurred during setting PHA.
2. if only an Analog signal is set to acquire:
Probe returned JEOL error -5: maximum logical unit number error  Occurred during on-peak SampleGroup() processing.

Any ideas what is causing this? Thanks,

-Dan

Hi Dan,
The warnings in Probe Image about the .PHA (and/or .ELM) files can be ignored.  As you said, once you specifiy an element in PFE, they go away.

As for the JEOL error -5: maximum logical unit number error in Probe Image, that is not supposed to occur.   PFE is working OK after the update to v. 11?

Did you copy the new JEOL driver I sent you to the SysWOW64 folder?   Did you copy the jeolEIKS files from the PFE app folder to the PI app folder?   I'll send you a document.
john
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 08:13:51 AM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Dan R

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 08:21:19 AM »
Hi John-
The problem was that I forgot to enter the JEOL Security number into PI Setup! It is weird that I could i read and set Spec and stage positions without it.
-Dan

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 08:46:39 AM »
Hi John-
The problem was that I forgot to enter the JEOL Security number into PI Setup! It is weird that I could i read and set Spec and stage positions without it.
-Dan

Well that is very good to hear.   

How were you reading the positions?  The stage positions are read through the EIKS interface, so that doesn't need the security number. The spectro positions can be read using the Read ELM button which just reads from a file.  It may also be that you were just reading previously "cached" positions in the driver...

But the really odd thing is that the JEOL security number was not preserved in the PI update.  No one else has reported that issue so I wondering how that might occur.  You didn't delete the existing ProbeImage.ini file did you?
john
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 08:51:10 AM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Dan R

• Professor
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 12:46:11 PM »
John I wouldn't worry about things on your end. The entire computer had to be reformatted so I installed PFE and PI from scratch.
Dan