Author Topic: Peak Element Before Acquisition  (Read 3685 times)

Alison

• Student
Peak Element Before Acquisition
« on: April 21, 2015, 05:00:02 PM »
When using the "Peak Element Before Acquisition" feature, does the element you want to peak have to be the first one on the spectrometer? We tried this option the other day with the element as the second to be analyzed on the spectrometer and it started the peak search where it left off after measuring the first element. As a result, it did not find the peak for the second element. We tried this three times and it did the same thing each time, so I'm not sure if it's our probe or if we missed something regarding this feature.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Peak Element Before Acquisition
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 05:12:11 PM »
When using the "Peak Element Before Acquisition" feature, does the element you want to peak have to be the first one on the spectrometer? We tried this option the other day with the element as the second to be analyzed on the spectrometer and it started the peak search where it left off after measuring the first element. As a result, it did not find the peak for the second element. We tried this three times and it did the same thing each time, so I'm not sure if it's our probe or if we missed something regarding this feature.

Hi Alison,
I rewrote this code recently and did test it, but maybe not with then 2nd element on a spectrometer.  But do update PFE and test again- not sure what version you are on.

I'll give this a look this weekend.  Thanks for catching this.

Just curious, why are you peaking on every acquisition?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 05:14:55 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Alison

• Student
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 01:56:20 PM »
Hi John,
We have version 10.8.3 right now, but we can't update at the moment because someone is in the middle of a session. We are seeing a frequent, somewhat large shift in peak position during sessions, so we are trying to mitigate this problem for now using the peaking feature.

Thank you for the help!

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 02:11:51 PM »
Hi Alison,
Ok, well this is sounding more and more like instrument mechanical problem. Especially since Mike recently posted about having a problem with the peaking which no one else can reproduce...

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=459.0

Ok, I can confirm there is a bug that is preventing the peaking before acquisition feature for subsequent elements on a spectrometer. I'll fix that tonight, but here's a word to the wise: call your JEOL service engineer and fix your instrument!   :(
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 02:30:49 PM by Probeman »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 06:56:33 PM »
Hi Alison,
I've uploaded new ProbeForEPMA.msi files to all our download sites.  Go ahead and use the Help | Update menu to update PFE.  Thanks for catching this problem!

The issue was that subsequent elements on each spectrometer were not being moved to their peak positions before the pre-peaking started. This was an bug from the massive rewrite I did to the acquisition code to better support multiple condition samples in January.

Now get your spectrometer mechanicals looked at!
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"