Author Topic: Starting a new file and loading in standard intensities accurately  (Read 2445 times)

bgarcia

• Professor
I'm not sure the title nailed what my issue is, but it always seems to take a paragraph to ask a question.. ::)

Our usual EPMA analytical routine is to start a new file, load in a previously-saved (Master File) sample setup with all the possible elements we may do, then delete those elements we don't need for this analysis run and customize as needed. This means all the acquired standard compositions and peak positions from our Master File are transferred to the new file, and analyzing a standard as an unknown should give a k-ratio pretty close to 1.0 for a particular element. With me so far?

Since a few weeks back, I find that, in the new file with the imported settings, analyzing a standard as an unknown does not get a k ratio equal to 1.0.  I've done this for many elements, and they aren't what they should be in the new file. All the settings seem to be the same, i.e, PHAs, backgrounds..etc

In theory, I should be able to import settings into a new file and, without reacquiring standards, get the correct standard composition, right? I don't know what else changes when I do this...something having to do with the standard intensity drift correction?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:03:02 PM by John Donovan »

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Starting a new file and loading in standard intensities accurately
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 09:36:02 AM »
In theory, I should be able to import settings into a new file and, without reacquiring standards, get the correct standard composition, right? I don't know what else changes when I do this...something having to do with the standard intensity drift correction?

Hi Ben,
In theory yes.

Can you send the MDB file to my Probe Software email so I can try it and see?
john
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:03:11 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

bgarcia

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 09:41:40 AM »
Sure! I'll send you the Master and the new file.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:03:25 PM by John Donovan »

bgarcia

• Professor
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 03:41:07 PM »
Ok, thanks to Sr. Dononvan, it appears my Master conditions file has carried over a number of errors through the years, with conflicting standard assignments and bad data points causing me a lot of grief. Looks like I need to just start a new Master condition file from scratch, with due diligence in determing off-peak backgrounds, etc. Cheers!