Author Topic: Disable some limited subset of column conditions?  (Read 2769 times)

JohnF

• Professor
  • CQ DX DE WA3BTA
    • John's EPMA
Disable some limited subset of column conditions?
« on: April 13, 2015, 02:52:15 PM »
RE "Do not set conditions during acquisition" (=Disable setting of kV, nA, beam size, mag, image shift and beam mode) in Acquisition Options

In my experience with 3 FE electron probes (2 Jeol, 1 Cameca), I have found (and heard comments from others) that sometimes (if not all the time), the instrument column is "stable enough" and there is no need for PfE to, for each measurement, to try to set the beam current (which can be a waste of 5-10 if not more seconds), when there is no need. Particularly now that PfE measures it at the start and end of each measurement.

So why not break out the setting of beam current, so it can be left alone and other settings kept in place? Clearly one might wish to disable the setting of nA alone, not adjust it every time, but make sure other settings remain enabled.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 03:37:31 PM by JohnF »

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Disable some limited subset of column conditions?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 03:41:29 PM »
RE "Do not set conditions during acquisition" (=Disable setting of kV, nA, beam size, mag, image shift and beam mode) in Acquisition Options

In my experience with 3 FE electron probes (2 Jeol, 1 Cameca), I have found (and heard comments from others) that sometimes (if not all the time), the instrument column is "stable enough" and there is no need for PfE to, for each measurement, to try to set the beam current (which can be a waste of 5-10 if not more seconds), when there is no need. Particularly now that PfE measures it at the start and end of each measurement.

So why not break out the setting of beam current, so it can be left alone and other settings kept in place? Clearly one might wish to disable the setting of nA alone, not adjust it every time, but make sure other settings remain enabled.

Hi John,
It's a good idea. 

For now, just modify your beam current set tolerance in your INI file to a larger number so it doesn't try to re-set the beam current as seen here in the [hardware] section:

BeamCurrentTolerance=0.005   ; tolerance for re-setting the beam current in fractional units (0.02 = 2%)

If your beam current is stable you don't need to reset it every analysis to whatever tolerance you decide.
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"