Author Topic: Stage increment for unknown and standard acquisition?  (Read 3549 times)

JohnF

• Professor
  • CQ DX DE WA3BTA
    • John's EPMA
Stage increment for unknown and standard acquisition?
« on: April 03, 2015, 06:17:02 PM »
Working with FE probe means a much more intense beam, so there is (or should be) a certain amount of experimentation. Certainly TDI is one useful tool. Another useful tool would be the ability to jog the stage (or continuously move it) while counting either as a standard or an unknown (clearly on a homogeneous material). In PfE there is a clear ability to do this with wavescans. However, I do not see it for unknown or standard acquisitions. Is it there somewhere, where I just don't see it? Or it not there, it would be a useful addition to the PfE toolkit.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 08:22:21 AM by John Donovan »

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Stage increment for unknown and standard acquisition?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 06:54:21 PM »
Working with FE probe means a much more intense beam, so there is (or should be) a certain amount of experimentation. Certainly TDI is one useful tool. Another useful tool would be the ability to jog the stage (or continuously move it) while counting either as a standard or an unknown (clearly on a homogeneous material). In PfE there is a clear ability to do this with wavescans. However, I do not see it for unknown or standard acquisitions. Is it there somewhere, where I just don't see it? Or it not there, it would be a useful addition to the PfE toolkit.

Hi John,
Yes, the stage stepping option for wavescans as seen here:

...was designed for sulfur peak shift measurements for determining chemical oxidation state.  The problem is that if one leaves the beam too long on an alkali glass, the trace sulfur will begin to oxidize, compromising the peak shift characterization...

But I do understand your point, so try the Alternating on/off Peak method.  This tracks the net intensity over time.

And if the sample really is homogeneous, why not just defocus the beam?
john
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 08:22:37 AM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

JohnF

• Professor
  • CQ DX DE WA3BTA
    • John's EPMA
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 12:30:47 PM »
This is not for direct quant analysis, so the issue of sample homo/heterogenity is not relevant.

This is  for "experimental tool kit" work... trying to understand some complex (charge build up?) behavior in the intense FE beam.

As it is, I have to manual move the stage when acquiring counts and absorbed beam current, to hit 'unzipped' areas every second or so...seems like PfE should have this option (even if vulcan power fist salut required).

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 08:22:53 AM by John Donovan »

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 12:51:01 PM »
This is not for direct quant analysis, so the issue of sample homo/heterogenity is not relevant.

This is  for "experimental tool kit" work... trying to understand some complex (charge build up?) behavior in the intense FE beam.

As it is, I have to manual move the stage when acquiring counts and absorbed beam current, to hit 'unzipped' areas every second or so...seems like PfE should have this option (even if vulcan power fist salut required).

Hi John,
I understand. But for a specialized measurement you could use Gopon's Lab View interface to my instrument API, couldn't you?   After all, that is exactly what the Remote API is for!

I'd rather spend my time adding features that everyone can use.

Edit by John: this feature is now available as described here:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=42.msg8434#msg8434
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 12:21:02 PM by John Donovan »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!