Author Topic: Carbide Standard Inquiry  (Read 4069 times)

cvidito

• Graduate
Carbide Standard Inquiry
« on: March 26, 2015, 02:23:42 PM »
I am trying to acquire a good set of standards for the analysis of boron carbide. I know that both Alfa Aesar and Ted Pella offer carbides and boron bearing compounds. Has anyone had experience using such materials from these two suppliers? Do any of you know anyone else who has high purity boron compounds or carbides? I would appreciate any advice from those of you who have done carbide analysis in the past. Thank you.

Chris     

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: Carbide Standard Inquiry
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 05:24:42 PM »
I am trying to acquire a good set of standards for the analysis of boron carbide. I know that both Alfa Aesar and Ted Pella offer carbides and boron bearing compounds. Has anyone had experience using such materials from these two suppliers? Do any of you know anyone else who has high purity boron compounds or carbides? I would appreciate any advice from those of you who have done carbide analysis in the past. Thank you.

Hi Chris,
I would stay away from sintered and other commercial materials as they tend to have binders and significant impurities.

Your best bet would be a single crystal and I would probably contact this place posted here:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=308.msg1558#msg1558

Note that when Alpha Aesar says "99.99% metals basis" they mean 99.99% *not* counting all non-metals, such as halogens, oxygen, nitrogen, etc, etc.
john
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

cvidito

• Graduate
Re: Carbide Standard Inquiry
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 05:03:39 AM »
Thanks John. That could have been an expensive mistake. I will try the source you suggested.

Chris