Author Topic: Importing wavescans  (Read 4786 times)

Mike Spilde

• Post Doc
Importing wavescans
« on: October 14, 2013, 01:54:41 PM »
I have a large number of wavescans that I have done over the years using the JEOL 8200 Qualitative Analysis software. Most of my standards have been scanned for the full length of all 5 spectrometers, each with different crystals. Is there any way to import that data into PFE to display in Plot! to check backgrounds for example, without having to rescan from PFE?

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Importing wavescans
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 03:17:04 PM »
Hi Mike,
How would you like to do this?

For example, you might already know about the Load Wavescan From Another Run button in the New Sample dialog from the Acquire! window:

Would it be ok to have all your wavescans in a probe database that you could select from to import?  What form are the data files in now? Can you send me an example?
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Mike Spilde

• Post Doc
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 02:09:51 PM »
John,
Presently, the wavescans are in a binary format on the Solaris, but they can be converted to ascii format. That would be essentially spectrometer position (mm or Angstroms) and intensity in two columns.

Having them in one place to load into a run would be useful.

Mike

Rom

• Professor
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 08:03:50 PM »
Hi Mike,
How would you like to do this?

For example, you might already know about the Load Wavescan From Another Run button in the New Sample dialog from the Acquire! window:

That is clear, but could you explain how I can use one WS for different elements?
For instance, if we collected WS with LIF (from edge to edge), channel 5 on CuFeS2 standard and indicated to the system we collect signal only for Cu. Is it possible to use this WS for choose, correct and analyze   peak and BG positions of Fe?
Thank you!

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 09:49:10 PM »
Each wavescan sample can contain multiple elements. You can import full range scans but the calibration is based on the peak element.

This feature will load the wavescans for all elements contained in the wavescan sample,  So up to 72 elements.  Try it and you will see.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 09:58:17 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Rom

• Professor
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2022, 11:54:06 PM »
I tried - it is good,
how I can add an extra element to the element list of this Wavescan?

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 08:05:37 AM »
I tried - it is good,
how I can add an extra element to the element list of this Wavescan?

You would have to acquire another wavescan using the elements you want (each element in the wavescan sample has its own scan). Then import it as before.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Rom

• Professor
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2022, 06:32:01 PM »
It is clear, thank you. But for my example with CuFeS2 standard and Cu, Fe elements (both for LIF, channel 5) I need to collect WS for the CuFeS2 standard two times: 1 for Cu and 1 for Fe (and several times more if I want to use this channel for extra elements).
Instead, if we will have possibility to add extra element to the WS, we can collect the WS for the CuFeS2 standard just 1! time and then add any element for analysis of BG, peak overlapping effect etc.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2022, 07:13:59 PM »
It is clear, thank you. But for my example with CuFeS2 standard and Cu, Fe elements (both for LIF, channel 5) I need to collect WS for the CuFeS2 standard two times: 1 for Cu and 1 for Fe (and several times more if I want to use this channel for extra elements).
Instead, if we will have possibility to add extra element to the WS, we can collect the WS for the CuFeS2 standard just 1! time and then add any element for analysis of BG, peak overlapping effect etc.

It doesn't work that way.

Just specify all the elements you want to quantify in an unknown sample (up to 72 elements). Then peak all the elements and adjust the PHAs. Then make a wavescan sample (it will contain all the elements) and acquire a wavescan. The software will automatically acquire a wavescan for each element in the wavescan sample around each emission peak position.   

Of course you can acquire this wavescan on multiple materials if you want.  Then you can plot a single (or multiple) wavescan(s) from the Plot! window and pick your backgrounds for each element as desired.  A good tutorial is here:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=106.0

The other thing that you might find useful is Sandrin Feig's "EPMA method development Tool" website:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=743.0
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Rom

• Professor
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2022, 09:14:26 PM »

Just specify all the elements you want to quantify in an unknown sample (up to 72 elements). Then peak all the elements and adjust the PHAs. Then make a wavescan sample (it will contain all the elements) and acquire a wavescan. The software will automatically acquire a wavescan for each element in the wavescan sample around each emission peak position.   

Of course you can acquire this wavescan on multiple materials if you want.  Then you can plot a single (or multiple) wavescan(s) from the Plot! window and pick your backgrounds for each element as desired.

It is a common way we use. Each element has to have its own WS and we cannot use the same WS for different elements. Unfortunately we need to collect WS for each element even for qualitative analysis and this is a very, very long process.

It will be great if the way will have a shorter option - of course only for qualitative analysis (anyway each session is unique and when we use previous session settings, accuracy of our results decreases). This is the root of my question - may be you can help us to find a solution :) (may be not the most evident).

"EPMA method development Tool" website (Tasmania Uni) is a very good tool, we use it a lot. Unfortunately it has a limited number of standards. Moreover sometimes WS(s) of the website is bit different with our real WS(s) what can be explain by. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 09:16:30 PM by Rom »

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2022, 09:23:51 PM »

Of course you can acquire this wavescan on multiple materials if you want.  Then you can plot a single (or multiple) wavescan(s) from the Plot! window and pick your backgrounds for each element as desired.

It is a common way we use. Each element has to have its own WS and we cannot use the same WS for different elements. Unfortunately we need to collect WS for each element even for qualitative analysis and this is a very, very long process.

It will be great if the way will have a shorter option - of course only for qualitative analysis (anyway each session is unique and when we use previous session settings, accuracy of our results decreases). This is the root of my question - may be you can help us to find a solution :) (may be not the most evident).

Yes, the method I just suggested acquires a wavescan for each element.  If you want to save time, just use the continuous (ROM) scan option, or fewer points or shorter integration times.  It can be fully automated for multiple samples or standards also.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 09:40:57 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400