Author Topic: Run a line with one setup, then another setup  (Read 743 times)

Ben Buse

• Professor
Run a line with one setup, then another setup
« on: July 08, 2021, 03:11:14 AM »
Hi everyone,

Is there way to setup a series of lines - where for each line, the whole line is run using a major element setup and then repeated using a trace element setup?

I'm running dual conditions on plagioclase with a small step, but the trace element setup is damaging the next point before it is analysed.

Thanks

Ben

Ben Buse

• Professor
Re: Run a line with one setup, then another setup
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 05:28:52 AM »
What I've done is I create the line - assign sample setup for major. Then export the line or lines, and import the line or lines to duplicate the coordinates - for the second set - assigned sample setup for traces.

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 09:13:30 AM »
What I've done is I create the line - assign sample setup for major. Then export the line or lines, and import the line or lines to duplicate the coordinates - for the second set - assigned sample setup for traces.

Hi Ben,
Yes, you can do that but even easier is to use the Multiple Setups option from the Automate! window to assign multiple sample setups to the digitized line.  Normally I utilize this acquisition option for thin film samples where the same points need to be run at multiple keVs, but it will also allow you to assign a major element sample setup and then a trace element sample setup from the Automate! window.

Of course once they are acquired then you will need to use the "Combine Selected Samples" or the "Combine Selected Samples into a New Sample" buttons from the Analyze! window to combine the major and trace elements for quantification.

Curious why you don't just acquire a single sample using "combined conditions" for majors and traces as described here:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=5.0

Here is an example of a combined condition sample setup that we used 30 nA for majors and 100 nA for the traces:

Be sure to change the acquisition order so that the elements get grouped together for acquisition.
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 01:21:23 PM »
Hi, I often like to duplicate the coordinates and assign sample setups instead of using combined conditions because I trust my stage more than my column :)

Tip: The easiest way to duplicate positions is through the "Positions" window, no need to export or import. You can get there either through "Acquire!" - "Move" - "Positions or "Automate!" - "Move" - "Positions" (Button is in the upper right corner of the Move Window).

There you find the options "Duplicate as Unknown" or "Duplicate as Wavescan". Select from existing positions as needed and apply Note: Sometimes you have to close and reopen the Automate window to see the new positions.

This might be one of my favorite hidden functions as it also makes it very easy 1) to setup wavescans on standards and unknowns (it automatically assigns the correct name), (2) to create perfectly parallel traverses: I create one, duplicate it in the positions window as many times as needed and then use the "Update" function in Automate to shift it where I want it, (3) Reorder analyses in the automate window. You can move digitized positions up and down individually but instead by copying and deleting the digitized positions selectively, it lets me quickly reorder in case I need it.
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.