Author Topic: Error calculation: Save StrataGem/Badgerfilm output Format  (Read 200 times)

Ben Buse

• Professor
Error calculation: Save StrataGem/Badgerfilm output Format
« on: June 24, 2024, 01:47:27 AM »
Hi,

How are the errors calculated for export to output format? When using average of datapoints for k-ratio what error is being exported?

is it standard deviation? is it count stats - and does that use assume multiple points homogeneous and treat as multiple points x time? i.e. standard error?

Thanks

Ben

Ben Buse

• Professor
Re: Error calculation: Save StrataGem/Badgerfilm output Format
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2024, 08:23:30 AM »
Ok it seems PFE does not export errors to badgerfilm/stratagem; with badgerfilm assigning a 5% error to each element

Would it be a good idea to export errors?

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Error calculation: Save StrataGem/Badgerfilm output Format
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2024, 10:41:54 AM »
Ok it seems PFE does not export errors to badgerfilm/stratagem; with badgerfilm assigning a 5% error to each element

Would it be a good idea to export errors?

The STRATAGem format does not seem to support error values. I guess one could create a new field type but STRATAGem will never support it and it would be up to Aurelien to add this capability to BadgerFilm:

My take on users asking about errors in the thin film calculation is that at the very least one can simply propagate the relative variances display for the k-ratios in Probe for EPMA.  Here is a quick way to see the variances quickly in Probe for EPMA:

First click the Analyze! button, then click the KRaws button...  note the %REL SD output.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 12:37:24 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"