Author Topic: Import new standards to PfE  (Read 1551 times)

emma_fisi

• Professor
Import new standards to PfE
« on: October 11, 2018, 11:16:39 AM »
Hi folks,

I just loaded up a couple of new standard blocks in our JEOL 8530F. I'm wondering if there is a quick way to import all of the standard compositions and positions into PfE, so I don't have to enter them all in manually again.... At present, I have each element as a separate .cmp file - do I need to save them all as ASCII files?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Em

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Import new standards to PfE
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 11:37:58 AM »
Hi folks,

I just loaded up a couple of new standard blocks in our JEOL 8530F. I'm wondering if there is a quick way to import all of the standard compositions and positions into PfE, so I don't have to enter them all in manually again.... At present, I have each element as a separate .cmp file - do I need to save them all as ASCII files?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Em

Hi Emma,
As you know, standard compositions are stored in the standard database accessed from Standard, while positions (for standards, unknowns and wavescans) are stored in the position database accessed from Probe for EPMA.  I am not familiar with the .CMP file format, but I know Paul Carpenter was working on a Perl script to import JEOL standard info, so you might want to contact him.  Here are the ASCII file import options for standard compositions (note the disabled menu waiting for Carpenter's Perl code!):

and here are the ASCII file import options in Probe for EPMA:

These ASCII file import formats are documented in the Probe for EPMA user's reference manual and help file.  I'm sure you could come up with a nice script to automatically convert the JEOL formats to one of these already supported ASCII import formats!

Feel free to ask me any questions regarding the import file formats.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Import new standards to PfE
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 10:10:28 AM »
A followup on this topic of importing standard compositions from JEOL OEM software...

Paul never did finish up his script for importing the JEOL standard compositions from the JEOL 8200/8500 UNIX software (as mentioned in the previous post), but we did implement a method to import JEOL standard compositions from the 8230/8530 JEOL PC software:

This import method should also work for the new JEOL iSP100/iHP200F instruments since it's basically the same instrument and software as the JEOL 8230/8530.

But, if anyone out there has created a script to parse out the JEOL 8200/8500 standard compositions from the old JEOL UNIX software, we would be interested in hearing about it. Feel free to contact me at Probe Software.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"