Author Topic: Adjusting motors.dat file  (Read 1998 times)

Dan MacDonald

• Professor
Adjusting motors.dat file
« on: January 05, 2018, 07:16:04 AM »
Good afternoon, everyone:

I have encountered a small problem with measuring a low off-peak intensity for  the Y La peak in a TAP crystal using my JEOL 8200.  The lower physical drive limit is 61.000 mm, but the value in the motors.dat file is 63 mm, and I need to measure the low off-peak intensity at about 62.3-ish mm.  Can I simply change the lower limit for that spectrometer to 61.5 in the motors.dat file to allow for measurement at the desired low off-peak position, or do I need to change anything else in another *.dat file or in the probewin.ini file?  Thanks very much for all your kind help in advance - I greatly appreciate it, as I have not encountered this issue before.

Best regards

Dan MacDonald
Probe Dude
Dalhousie University

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Adjusting motors.dat file
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 08:54:22 AM »
I have encountered a small problem with measuring a low off-peak intensity for  the Y La peak in a TAP crystal using my JEOL 8200.  The lower physical drive limit is 61.000 mm, but the value in the motors.dat file is 63 mm, and I need to measure the low off-peak intensity at about 62.3-ish mm.  Can I simply change the lower limit for that spectrometer to 61.5 in the motors.dat file to allow for measurement at the desired low off-peak position, or do I need to change anything else in another *.dat file or in the probewin.ini file?  Thanks very much for all your kind help in advance - I greatly appreciate it, as I have not encountered this issue before.

Hi Dan,
Yes, just edit the motors.dat file using a text editor.  When you re-start Probe for EPMA and open your MDB file it will note that the motion limits have changed and just click Yes to update the values in your MDB file.
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"