Poll

What method(s) do you utilize for image calibrations in Probe for EPMA and Probe Image?

Only the two point calibration method in the Probe for EPMA Imaging window
Only the three point calibration method in the CalcImage Processing | Calibrate Beam Scan menu
Mostly the two point calibration method in Probe for EPMA
Mostly the three point calibration method in ProbeImage/CalcImage
A completely different calibration method of my own making
I've never attempted to calibrate beam scan images to the stage coordinates

Author Topic: Image calibrations in PFE and PI  (Read 522 times)

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Image calibrations in PFE and PI
« on: November 18, 2023, 09:05:57 AM »
In order to ensure that our beam scan imaging aligns properly with our stage coordinates, we need to calibrate our scan coils for several magnifications (ideally two magnifications per scan coil range). This means for each chosen magnification, we need to determine the scan rotation to ensure orthogonality with our stage and the X and Y scan extents in microns.

As many of you know there are two methods for image calibration in Probe for EPMA and Probe Image.

1. The two point calibration method which is accessed from the Acquire! Imaging window, using the small "@" button as described here:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=329.0

This method can be entirely performed in Probe for EPMA and is accomplished by first ensuring that the image is orthogonal to the stage by utilizing a linear feature on your sample holder, then finding two points on an approximate diagonal on the image and your sample using the light optics.

2. The three point calibration method utilized in CalcImage by acquiring a stage map and multiple beam scan images in Probe Image which rely on finding three points which are located on both images as described here:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=396.0

The advantage of this method is that it can work on any sample with visible features and automatically compensates for beam scan rotation.

How do you calibrate your beam scan images in order to ensure that the images are accurate in stage coordinates?

Edit by John: Note that you need to login to the forum to vote in the above poll.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 08:20:11 AM by John Donovan »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Ben Buse

• Professor
Re: Image calibrations in PFE and PI
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 02:28:06 AM »
I used to always use the 3 point in Probe for Epma, but the problem was the samples where different heights so the incorporation of z wasn't helpful - (i.e. not dealing with a uniform slope) - therefore I switched to using the 2 point calibration

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Image calibrations in PFE and PI
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 08:16:22 AM »
I used to always use the 3 point in Probe for Epma, but the problem was the samples where different heights so the incorporation of z wasn't helpful - (i.e. not dealing with a uniform slope) - therefore I switched to using the 2 point calibration

This image/beam scan calibration topic has nothing to do with Z stage motion.

By the "three point method in Probe for EPMA" do you mean the fiducial method in the Automate! window?  If so, that's a different calibration situation specific to the navigation of sample mounts. See Karsten's tutorial on this:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=405.0

Here we are speaking of the beam scan to stage calibration method.  That is, what the X and Y extents (and scan rotation) are for different magnification values.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 08:20:44 AM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"