Author Topic: XMapTools format output from CalcImage  (Read 586 times)

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
XMapTools format output from CalcImage
« on: May 12, 2023, 03:35:39 PM »
Hi,

Would it be possible to implement an XMapTools data export in CalcImage that would allow us to export already quantified x-ray maps for importing into XmapTools?

I would prefer to keep doing my quantification of X-ray maps using MAN backgrounds in CalcImage as this gives me access to the quantitative interference corrections, TDI corrections, the cool new deadtime corrections etc. pp. and they would be overall more robustly quantified (IMO if calibration curves were the one-stop solution to matrix corrections we would use them all the time!).

However, XMapTools has an amazing ecosystem of data processing and visualization tools for petrologists, especially the thermobarometry calculation options. I have various users here that would like to use it. Currently, if we want to use it we would need also need spot analysis for the calibration in addition to all the concerns with interference/TDI/etc. corrections.

So having an easy export that allows me to use my CalcImage fully-quantified/corrected X-ray maps in XMapTools would be the best of both worlds.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 04:27:36 PM by John Donovan »
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: XMapTools format output from CalcImage
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 08:05:47 AM »
Hi,

Would it be possible to implement an XMapTools data export in CalcImage that would allow us to export already quantified x-ray maps for importing into XmapTools?

I would prefer to keep doing my quantification of X-ray maps using MAN backgrounds in CalcImage as this gives me access to the quantitative interference corrections, TDI corrections, the cool new deadtime corrections etc. pp. and they would be overall more robustly quantified (IMO if calibration curves were the one-stop solution to matrix corrections we would use them all the time!).

However, XMapTools has an amazing ecosystem of data processing and visualization tools for petrologists, especially the thermobarometry calculation options. I have various users here that would like to use it. Currently, if we want to use it we would need also need spot analysis for the calibration in addition to all the concerns with interference/TDI/etc. corrections.

So having an easy export that allows me to use my CalcImage fully-quantified/corrected X-ray maps in XMapTools would be the best of both worlds.

Absolutely.

We agree that providing a method to import already quantified x-ray maps from Probe for EPMA/CalcImage into XMapTools will allow users to utilize the petrological tools in XMapTools.  By performing the map quantification in CalcImage, the user will be able to handle not only situations where interference and time dependent intensity corrections are necessary, but also for phases where other issues such as curved backgrounds, highly absorbing matrices and dead time corrections at high count rates are problematic for calibration curve methods.

The new CalcImage | Convert menu is found here:

To use, simply open an already quantified map project, and click the menu item. CalcImage will then export the "classify" quant (elemental wt%) into XMapTools format as seen here:

into a sub folder called XMapTools.  If one has multiple projects in the main folder, the XMapTools subfolder can be renamed if desired.

Keep in mind that this export feature currently only exports the elemental wt% maps, as Pierre Lanari informs us that the oxide import in XMapTools is not quite working correctly yet. Also he sent us this link describing how to import already quantified maps into XMapTools:

https://resources.xmaptools.ch/how-to-import-calibrated-maps/
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 12:06:35 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"