Author Topic: Thermo NSS image size/memory limitation  (Read 4215 times)

David Steele

• Professor
Thermo NSS image size/memory limitation
« on: November 19, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »
For collective information, and I hope this hasn't been posted previously.

This memory limitation on our Thermo NSS software/Win7 32-bit system was uncovered while attempting to montage a grid of 28*29 BSE images of a 30mm MLA block.

The system hardware and software is standard as supplied and installed by Thermo, Win7 32-bit, Dell Optiplex 9020 PC, 4GB RAM....

The images were all acquired happily but when I selected Create Montage and pressed the go button the display whited-out and the Windows wheel of misfortune cursor just sat there and went round and round and....

I contacted Thermo who advised that my 812 BSE images of 2.25MB each (total 1.827GB) plus the nominal 200MB needed by the NSS software to run had successfully exceeded the 2GB limit imposed by Windows for a single application to use on a 32-bit system!

Thermo's advice is to upgrade to a 64-bit version of Win7 allowing the NSS application access to 4GB on RAM.  Our IT people have suggested that we also add another 4GB of RAM to the PC so NSS doesn't soak up all 4GB of RAM montaging large numbers of images and kill the Win7 OS.  The 64-bit upgrade and additional 4GB of RAM are being 'implemented'!

...and I haven't even tried EDS mapping yet...... :-\

David
QUT

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: Thermo NSS image size/memory limitation
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 11:19:19 AM »
Ken Severin reported that he could not acquire 2048 wide pixel images through the Thermo API from within PFE because he was getting a timeout error (5) during the image transfer to PFE.  I reported this issue to Greg Fritz at Thermo a while back and it appears that this has been fixed in v. 3.3 of Thermo NSS.
The only stupid question is the one not asked!