Author Topic: Thermo interface error  (Read 14222 times)

David Steele

• Professor
Re: Thermo interface error
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 04:49:56 PM »
Having changed the ThermoNSSLocalRemotemode flag to 0 I'm now getting the "Please confirm that Thermo NSS is up and running." dialogue, BUT if I leave the dialogue box open with no decision made (i.e. haven't clicked yes or cancel and leave PfE running) then open NSS and THEN press OK to continue, a few error trap boxes appear....

It appears cleaner to closer PfE, start NSS, then reopen PfE and continue.  The "confirm EDS running" dialogue does not appear.....

In addition: There is obviously another flag somewhere on the NSS side of things that I haven't yet set correctly -  I continue to get an "Unable to connect to hardware" message from NSS every time I fire up the softwareS and Analyze data off-line.  I only see the message the first time.  Subsequent "Analyses" work without issue.

Cheers,
David   

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »
Having changed the ThermoNSSLocalRemotemode flag to 0 I'm now getting the "Please confirm that Thermo NSS is up and running." dialogue, BUT if I leave the dialogue box open with no decision made (i.e. haven't clicked yes or cancel and leave PfE running) then open NSS and THEN press OK to continue, a few error trap boxes appear....

It appears cleaner to closer PfE, start NSS, then reopen PfE and continue.  The "confirm EDS running" dialogue does not appear.....

From your somewhat vague description I can't say what is going on, but as long as you can process data...  however, please send me an email with some images attached showing the "error trap boxes" and I will take a look.

In addition: There is obviously another flag somewhere on the NSS side of things that I haven't yet set correctly -  I continue to get an "Unable to connect to hardware" message from NSS every time I fire up the software and Analyze data off-line.  I only see the message the first time.  Subsequent "Analyses" work without issue.

This is normal for no EDS hardware present.   If you don't want to see the error, simply start the Thermo SystemSIXSim.exe app first as seen here:

This is described here in more detail:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=389.msg2094#msg2094

The SystemSIXSim can do "demo" acquisition.
john
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 06:19:01 PM by Probeman »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 07:02:09 PM »
Everything (now) works fine on-line and off-line (i.e. on all 3 setups) if Thermo NSS is running before I open any mdb containing WD+ED intensities in PfE.

I was not aware that another flag (ThermoNSSLocalRemotemode) also has to be changed in the probewin.ini file for off-line processing.  Will do that now and report back....

I apologize for that, but please note that no special config is required for PFE for off-line processing.  In fact the ThermoNSSLocalRemoteMode keyword defaults to 0 for local mode so *someone* must have specifically specified that parameter for remote mode!    I'm just sayin'!   ;)

But yes, for Thermo NSS for off-line processing of EDS + WDS some manual tweaks are still required.  And yes, they need to make their default installation work automatically for off-line data processing and they do agree, but they haven't had time to update their installer yet.

Not everyone is as efficient as Probe Software!   ;D
john
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 07:43:40 PM by Probeman »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

David Steele

• Professor
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 08:29:24 PM »
Thanks John.

My "error trap boxes" comment was deliberately vague ;).  I'm not fussed about them as I know these appeared because I was (deliberately) trying non-normal sequences mainly to see what the software 'responses' would be!

Just rest assured your error trapping works!  MY 'blanket statement' instruction to everyone is "start NSS before starting PfE", and have them both running even if they're not likely to be doing any combined ED-WD "analysis".  Saves all sorts of angst in the long run, especially for me when I'm home located a few thousand km away from QUT and can't see what "the nut on the keyboard" is actually doing back in Brisbane!

Cheers,
David