Author Topic: JEOL iSP100 and iHP200F EPMA Instruments  (Read 4219 times)

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
JEOL iSP100 and iHP200F EPMA Instruments
« on: March 17, 2021, 09:42:43 AM »
Good news!

After working with JEOL Japan we have certified that our Probe for EPMA and Probe Image software packages can now connect to and control the new JEOL iSP100 and iHP200F EPMA instruments.

Thanks to the JEOL Factory team and our Probe Software beta testers: Anette von der Handt, Glenn Poirier, Karsten Goemann, Changkun Park and Gareth Seward.

It turns out that the communication protocols for the new iSP100/iHP200F instruments are essentially the same as the previous 8230/8530 instruments, as we only needed to "optimize" our code in a few places.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 05:56:05 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

AndrewLocock

• Professor
    • University of Alberta Electron Microprobe Laboratory
Re: JEOL iSP100 and iHP200F EPMA Instruments
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 01:26:12 PM »
The JEOL JXA-iHP200F Field Emission EPMA (Ultrahigh imaging and analytical resolution), and the JEOL JXA-iSP100 with LaB6 EPMA (Research grade microprobe) are effectively the only models of WDS electron microprobe available now (setting aside Shimadzu).

A question for EPMA labs with FEG instruments:
- What are the downsides to having a FEG? Purchase cost? Maintenance/replacement cost? Ease of switching current or voltage? Room requirements? What else?

Thanks in advance!
Andrew

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2022, 05:52:01 PM »
The biggest issue that I can see is service contract costs. It definitely adds a chunk, not only for the emitter but also for having all these pumps (but then you also have a cleaner system which is nice). Depending on the financial structure of the lab, this can be an important consideration.

Otherwise, I am a believer now. Not only for the much nicer electron images but what it does for X-ray mapping (high current, tiny beam size) and high current analyses. Not having the filament punk out in the middle of a session is very appealing too. Having field emission capabilities also attracted new users to the lab.

Switching kV is almost instantaneous and switching beam current too on my new iHP200F. Beam current is very, very slightly less stable relative to tungsten but perfectly sufficient for everything I do. I do not see problems with very long running X-ray maps. Likewise, for quant so far I haven't had any concerns. I am running a 36-element quant setup right now that takes forever (often with the chart recorder running alongside as a control measure) and beam stability has not been a problem for this and other trace element setups.

Room requirements: Indeed, my new probes (8530F+ and iHP200F) needed much tighter room requirements compared to the old 8900/SX50 but a cage does not cost the world if it is even needed.
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

AndrewLocock

• Professor
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 09:10:53 AM »
Thanks very much Anette - this is very helpful.
Cheers, Andrew

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 11:35:45 AM »
The JEOL JXA-iHP200F Field Emission EPMA (Ultrahigh imaging and analytical resolution), and the JEOL JXA-iSP100 with LaB6 EPMA (Research grade microprobe) are effectively the only models of WDS electron microprobe available now (setting aside Shimadzu).

- What are the downsides to having a FEG? Purchase cost? Maintenance/replacement cost? Ease of switching current or voltage? Room requirements? What else?

Thanks in advance!
Andrew

I don't have experience with running a field emission EPMA instrument, just our FEI/Thermo ESEM. Regarding the FEG maintenance we do need to replace the FEG tip about every two years so that is an additional expense. Fortunately our instrument engineer can buy the tip from FEI and replace it and bake it out himself.

But I also want to mention the analytical downsides to FEG EPMA, which are almost certainly outweighed by the advantages, but it's still worth pointing them out I think.

First of all, the ability to focus the beam to such a small analytical volume is of course problematic for beam sensitive materials, particularly many minerals examined by geologists. Even the TDI correction can be pushed to its limits in many easily attainable FEG analytical volumes very quickly.

Second, there is a temptation to reduce the accelerating voltage below 5 keV, which is quite possible for FEG instruments. However it is worth keeping in mind that the beam depth can quickly become very shallow in many materials below 5 keV. This is not so much a problem for geologists as it is for material scientists whom may be examining metallic or alloy materials that can have an oxide layer.

I remember Stuart Kearns who once joked to me that getting used to a FEG EPMA means making sure that one is not merely analyzing oxide layers or contamination on surfaces.
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

AndrewLocock

• Professor
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 12:22:42 PM »
Thanks!
I appreciate your points about operating at (overly) high current, and (overly) low voltage, and the consequences on the analyses.

Our senior faculty are mainly concerned about: stringent room requirements, higher service contract costs, potentially longer service downtime.
The analogy of the luxury vehicle vs. the economy car is commonly made - what is desired vs. what is needed.

I do hope to hear from more FEG-EPMA users about their experiences also.
Cheers, Andrew

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2022, 01:40:31 PM »
Thanks!
I appreciate your points about operating at (overly) high current, and (overly) low voltage, and the consequences on the analyses.

It's not so much a high current as a high current density. If the FEG beam is defocused to something similar to a W gun there's no difference. It's just the watts/sq meters that matters.

Our senior faculty are mainly concerned about: stringent room requirements, higher service contract costs, potentially longer service downtime.
The analogy of the luxury vehicle vs. the economy car is commonly made - what is desired vs. what is needed.

I do hope to hear from more FEG-EPMA users about their experiences also.
Cheers, Andrew

I think stringent room requirements are pretty much the same for W or FEG. Particularly room temperature.  But it's true that operating at high magnification it probably helps to have a low vibration floor and maybe low EMF as well.

If you're working with an existing building- good luck.  But here's what we were able to specify to our architects when constructing a new lab from "underground" up:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=332.0
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 04:15:19 PM by Probeman »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

sem-geologist

• Professor
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2022, 05:01:47 AM »

Thanks in advance!
Andrew

First of all I would not set aside Shimadzu. Shimadzu (I got impression from its marketing material) looks are the only one, which understood and use fully the real strengths of FEG on EPMA. Shimadzu is not just "another EMPA with SEM-designed FEG tip mounted", they use larger diameter tips which addresses main issues of FEG when used on EPMA: long term and short term stability, and long life. The small and irrelevant (for EPMA) sacrifice with that is loosing FESEM-like spatial resolution, but it is still much better than CeB6, and who would need for microanalysis resolution of few nm while interaction is anyway few hundred of nm at low Kv, and much more at high acceleration voltage? Due to this absolutely inadequate (for EPMA) and bullshit marketing race toward smaller and smaller beam size and equipping EPMA with SEM-like  Schottky FEG tip, that exposes the instrument to lots of vulnerabilities and instabilities. The smaller FEG tip emitting facet - the more it is sensitive to environmental temperature changes, and is more sensitive to precision and stability of power supply. Also small sized Schottky emitter is more susceptible to ring-collapse events (shortening of tip by cascade like ring-like migration of atoms from tips end to tips sides, i.e. initiated by positive temperature swing in the room just few degrees),  or arching (a complete destruction of tip end by electric arc, i.e. due to malfunction of vacuum). Anyway, Shimadzu mounts specially for EPMA designed Shottky FEG tips - larger for improved stability, resilienced against unexpected bad events, and extended longevity. Probably a biggest (and crucial) downside of Shimadzu GrandEPMA for most of users here would be currently lack of ProbeSoftware support. But from technical perspective Shimadzu GrandEPMA (at least on paper) and logically looks much more properly designed machine for microanalysis than what Jeol has to offer.

I am user/operator/ and also partly a repair man of Cameca SX100 and SXFiveFE in our laboratory, so my experience could be not completely adequate to Jeol, take it with a grain of salt. As our lab is in grave financial situation, I need to do most of repairs of both machines by myself, thus have some specific view how it compares. Cameca SX100 is in lab from 1999. SXFiveFE is from 2014 (one of few first of its kind made by Cameca). IMHO SXFiveFE looks as was made to compete with Jeol FEG EPMA's and thus was probably rushed out too fast. Marketing of Cameca took the bait dropped by Jeol of this "uselessly small beam size" and lost the game. I think they lost as Cameca still cared for beam stability which is hard to achieve with FEG made for SEM. Also Cameca clearly lacked on expertise on FEG and it is not a simple drop-in replacement to W/LaB6 - the physics behind Schottky tip emission is in many cases completely counter-intuitive to someone who are familiar with how emission works on W and LaB6 (There is non-linear response between three main components of Schottky emission: temperature, electric field and ZrOx reservoir; The short-term observed direct response can reverse to opposite response in longer term, thus it is very easy to achieve very unstable emission when ignoring the big picture how the FEG works). We had complete service covered for 5 first years, and currently last three years we have no service contracts. And our FEG tip works for last 4 years within +/- 0.5% emission stability. Running FEG on very tight budget force us to identify and address risks, which we could just ignore if being on service contract.

1) Vacuum. Should be all time operational. Big UPS is a must. The maintenance of pumps is a mixed bag. For roughing pump we moved to Edwards Dry Scroll pump (Cameca FE- EPMA has only single) and shortened the pipe from plastic DN40 12m to 4m DN25 metal vacuum pipe: Edwards pump works without any maintenance for 2 years and can be maintained at place. Every two years we need to maintain it and I find costs of that similar to 2 oil pump (also Edwards) maintanence on our SX100. Ion pumps... while it was on Cameca service contracts the 2ndary ion pump was replaced already twice. For last 4 years while run by me without service contracts it was baked only once at FEG tip installation (nearly 4 years ago) and we had evaded any issues so long. The main issue I identified for 2ndary ion pump is argon poisoning, and contamination by overheated FEG tip. I have my own procedure to deargonize every one year (takes a one day downtime). If EPMA would be equipped with noble diode Ion pump (as 2ndary) or StarCell type this would be not an issue at all. Through lengthy observations and experience I came to conclusion that software and Vendor imposed threshold values after sample exchange is extremely very lax. Thus to protect the 2ndary ion pump from premature argon poisoning we use self-imposed much stricter threshold values, when it is safe to open the column to chamber and that is 5E-5Pa. For two standard thin sections (plus 1 or 2 metal one-inch standard sets) the time for vacuum reaching that threshold is comparable to that on SX100 to reach safe vacuum there (1-3Pa?). However, mounting two DIY epoxy-sustained one-inch sample sets would need about 15 minutes pumping time, 3 - more than one hour, and 6 more than a day, in case there would be additional degassing by samples - simply that would be unachievable. Same is with large (i.e. 3x3x1cm) polished rock slabs, where porosity would slowly degas the air (and thus 1% of Ar) into chamber vacuum - in many cases reaching the safe threshold of 5e-5 Pa in chamber would need whole day or would be unachievable. So in these cases our SX100 have a clear advantage vs SXFiveFE. However, if we would be covered with a service contract, there they would replace the 2ndary ion pump and FEG tip anyway every one-two year, we would not limit our-self so strictly with what we load.

2) Room requirements. First of all stability of room temperature can impact WDS spectrometers (position and counting, PHA shifts...), thus despite the cathode type You want to have T and humidity in the room as stable as possible. However FEG can be damaged with temperature positive swing just of few degrees if its working temperature is set just at 1800K (the case for majority of vendors) and extraction field is just just covering the tips surface stability. Prolonged exposure to numerous small swings can bring the tip into progressing ring-collapses. AC failure in conjunction with hot weather (and fast rise of temperature in room by 10 or more degrees) can shorten time for such collapse to only few hours. I don't know if Jeol instruments are prevented from that. I have made such DIY monitoring and prevention for our Cameca FEG instrument.

3) We also have 2 Zeiss FESEMs. Countless times we see that tip replacement can go wrong (in the end Cameca replacement proofed to be a top notch, compared how it is replaced on Zeiss...), and there can be new issues generated during replacement. i.e. Baking can loosen up some metal o-rings. It is not something so simple as tungsten replacement. Also You can't have just spare tip on the shelf as we normally have with tungsten tip. If it fails terribly (i.e. arching) there will be downtime for manufacturing and being sent to the lab - easily two weeks, then replacement and baking another week. It is not like "oh, the W tip had burnt at the night, I am going to replace tip in a few minutes, and in few hours I am ready to continue analyses".

When repairing and troubleshooting on your own:
4) Troubleshooting and fixing hardware/spectrometer issues can be hindered by need of switching off the FEG. FEG generally should be not switched off. A) It takes time to stabilize after switching it back on; B) In case of worn out Gun-column-chamber separation valve, venting chamber will decrease the vacuum by the gun, That requires switching gun off, and if valve is badly worn - requires re-baking of ion pumps after. (the stupid situation we are currently in :/ our 1st spectrometer does not work, and our valve is worn out, and I have no way to inspect and troubleshoot the spectrometer until valve issue is not solved. C) After venting the chamber getting the beam from gun You need much better vacuum in the chamber than on SX100, can take half a day.

As for density of FEG beam, You still can defocus beam, thus I don't see that as a problem.

Generally, I don't regeret that we have FEG EPMA - it has more advantages than disadvantages.

Nearly 4 year old tip still gives us ~1000 nA beam with stability within +/-0.5% of set value without beam regulation (a few weeks ago weekend stability test for 72 hours had shown stability within +/-0.5%). It required a lot of studying of workings of Schottky emission to achieve that. Clearly W SX100 has +/-0.05% stability with regulated beam. But as Anneta told, I also don't see obvious disadvantage in stability. Contrary, the long-term stability is so good that I can without worries set automated analyses for week in advance and if FEG is stable and apertures are not contaminated there will be no beam drift more than 1µm.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 07:28:09 AM by sem-geologist »

AndrewLocock

• Professor
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2022, 09:35:31 AM »
Thanks very much for the FEG discussion. It is clear that a FEG is a lot more work than a W or a LaB6 source.

A somewhat-related question is: how long can the various crystals (LiF, PET, TAP) endure extremely high currents (> 500 nA) before degradation becomes an issue?

Finally,
First of all I would not set aside Shimadzu.

Shimadzu uses rubidium hydrogen phthalate crystals (RAP) in place of thallium hydrogen phthalate crystals (TAP), according to page 11 of their recent brochure at: https://www.shimadzu.com/an/products/surface-analysis/electron-probe-microanalyzer/epma-8050g/index.html
And for their LiF spectrometers, the detectors are krypton-based in place of xenon.

Wybenga (1978) X-ray Spectrometry 7, 33-37, reported that RAP crystals gave on average only 55% of the gross intensity of TAP crystals for Na and Mg.
He concluded that TAP crystals are "undoubtedly far superior to the RbAP and KAP crystals".

For this reason alone, Shimadzu does not appear competitive with JEOL, in my view.
Thanks again, and cheers, Andrew

sem-geologist

• Professor
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2022, 04:25:29 AM »
Interesting. I wonder, maybe RAP has better spectral resolution. As I deal a lot with minerals with REE I find TAP in particular troublesome to analyse Na, Mg, Al and Si due to poor spectral resolution, the intensity is of little advantage. Only recently that could been partly worked around thanks to Cameca Peaksight introduced ability of interference corrections of background positions (negative interference correction). At least Si Ka I can measure on (L)PET, but Al, Mg, Na needs lots of interference corrections to keep it accurate for REE baring mineral analysis. So, I wonder if RAP would not give better spectral resolution... which would be much more of use than just twice higher intensity of TAP.

It can be argued that there is no ultimate combination of XTALS on spectrometers which would be most perfect for any kind of analytical work. TAP high intensity probably is good for Na-rich glasses. Any work on TAP with REE bearing minerals is just a hell (unless accuracy is of no interest, but why then do EPMA at all!).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 07:07:42 AM by sem-geologist »

AndrewLocock

• Professor
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2022, 01:23:58 PM »
I wonder, maybe RAP has better spectral resolution.
The 2d-spacings of thallium hydrogen phthalate, rubidium hydrogen phthalate, and potassium hydrogen phthalate respectively are:
25.745, 26.121, and 26.632 angstroms (Cameca, and Diano Corp. values).
As TAP has the lowest spacing of the hydrogen phthalate crystals, it will have the best spectral resolution of these three.

Pentaerythritol (Cameca 2d 8.75 angstroms) does have better spectral resolution than TAP: an energy range of 0.02 keV around the Si K-alpha position corresponds to ~940 Cameca units on PET, but only ~320 Cameca units on TAP.

However, the Si position on PET is near the very far end of the positional range of the spectrometer, further decreasing the available intensity.
As Probe-for-EPMA software greatly facilitates overlap corrections, I prefer to rely on PFE and use TAP for Si because of the high intensity.

Of course there is no ideal set up, which is why we have different crystals, and different opinions.

sckuehn

• Post Doc
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2022, 10:24:22 AM »
On the ARL SEMQ here, I did some testing of TAP versus RAP about a decade ago. I tried two RAPs and only one TAP. For Mg, the RAPs produced about 30% lower counts but about 2x better peak to background ratio versus the TAP. For minor to trace Mg in silicates, the RAP has been clearly superior. These crystals are now all circa 40 years old.

However, I can't rule out the possibility of a difference in the manufacturing of these crystals. I heard a rumor once that the ARL RAPs might be fully-focusing Johansson versus semi-focusing for the TAP.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2024, 06:24:16 AM »
Someone just pointed out to me this item on the JEOL iHP200F web page:

John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"