Author Topic: EIKS compatibility  (Read 1601 times)

Dan R

• Professor
    • GE Research Materials Characterization
EIKS compatibility
« on: May 01, 2019, 10:09:48 AM »
Hello all-
Corporate IT is making us upgrade all externally networked computers to Windows 10. I plan on upgrading the Probe for EPMA PC, but keeping the JEOL PC running Windows 7 for now. Is anyone aware of any compatibility issues with the EIKS interface between a Windows 10 and Windows 7 machine?
Thanks,
Dan Ruscitto

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
Re: EIKS compatibility
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 01:30:38 PM »
Hi Dan,

I am running PFE on a Windows 10 computer (without any problems) while the JEOL is still on Windows 7. No communication problems whatsoever, so you should be good based on my experience.

I only had twice problems with the enforced Windows10 updates already, this time it killed my 5 WDS input and I haven't figured out yet how to get it back. So I would have a mirror of your system as a backup in any case.
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

Probe321

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 01:57:52 PM »
I talked with our JEOL service engineer and he forward the question to corporate in Peabody.

The JEOL software and Probe for EPMA can be real touchy with windows update.  I noticed the software does not respond as usual in some case it just stops.  Then it is exit the software and install the updates.  Or worse you come in and on the display is restart the computer for windows up dates to complete install.  You hope the overnight run completed before windows update struck.  Once the updates are installed the software is back to normal.

I have notice on a some of the computers windows update refuses to install some of the updates.  I think this is a Windows issue and does not relate to the computers as it happens on my home windows 10 computer also.  IT has not come up with a solution.

Karsten Goemann

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 03:31:53 PM »
On our 8530F+ we have the JEOL PC and the xCLent PC still running Windows 7, whereas the Probe Software PC and Thermo Pathfinder PC are Windows 10 Pro. Only the JEOL PC is 32 bit, all others are 64 bit systems. No problems with EIKS communication.

The issue of Windows 10 updates and rebooting after updates is separate to that. I don't think it has anything to do with the application software. Depending on the Windows 10 version you have (it works with Pro but not sure about Home or Enterprise) it is possible to turn automatic reboot off completely. There are slightly different routes described in the web changing settings in registry/group policy/task scheduler.

Cheers,
Karsten

Dan R

• Professor
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 06:29:03 AM »
Thanks for the responses all. This will be a completely new workstation, so no update from Windows 7 to 10 will be required. I just wanted to make sure no compatibility issues will crop up. Thanks again!

Dan R

• Professor
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 01:21:55 PM »
Windows10 and re-install worked fine.
-Dan