Author Topic: Beware of Dell Cheap Default HD setup  (Read 1734 times)

JohnF

• Professor
  • CQ DX DE WA3BTA
    • John's EPMA
Beware of Dell Cheap Default HD setup
« on: June 19, 2015, 05:34:24 AM »
Apparently when one acquires a Dell computer, without explicitly saying NOT, Dell hogs both power connectors for the hard drives with 2 hard drives of each 50% of your specification. So if say 2 years ago you specified a 1 TB hard drive, you would get 2 500 MB drives that Dell configured to appear as one 1TB drive -- and there is no power connector now to add your own second large D drive for data. So one should very explicitly NOT give a minimum spec of "1 TB HD". rather explicitly state exactly what you want, e.g. one smaller drive (say for programs) and one larger drive for data.

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: Beware of Dell Cheap Default HD setup
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 08:19:37 AM »
Apparently when one acquires a Dell computer, without explicitly saying NOT, Dell hogs both power connectors for the hard drives with 2 hard drives of each 50% of your specification. So if say 2 years ago you specified a 1 TB hard drive, you would get 2 500 MB drives that Dell configured to appear as one 1TB drive -- and there is no power connector now to add your own second large D drive for data. So one should very explicitly NOT give a minimum spec of "1 TB HD". rather explicitly state exactly what you want, e.g. one smaller drive (say for programs) and one larger drive for data.

Hi John,
Same thing applies when buying RAM memory. You might ask for 8 GB of RAM, but to reduce costs they might supply two 4 GB memory sticks, instead of a single 8 GB one. Thus possibly occupying all RAM memory slots.

All good reasons for buying one's own computer...   second thought: was this on a Dell Precision Workstation?  The Dell scientific and engineering workstations (as opposed to their cheaper Optiplex business line of computers), are usually configured for lots of expansion...  the Dell Precision Workstations are what we spec...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 10:30:46 AM by Probeman »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

JohnF

• Professor
  • CQ DX DE WA3BTA
    • John's EPMA
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 12:15:03 PM »
Yes this was the Dell Precision Workstation which Thermo supplied (per your spec, which we wrote in the purcess order).
(Typo in original, should have been 2 500GB drives, silly me still thinking 500 MB ones). We were under the impression that it was fine to install PfE and PI on the same computer as the one Thermo supplied. Maybe more explicit statement in the ordering document for the Dell Precision Workstation would be good (so if Thermo is buying it, they optimize options.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 02:02:13 PM »
Yes this was the Dell Precision Workstation which Thermo supplied (per your spec, which we wrote in the purchase order).
(Typo in original, should have been 2 500GB drives, silly me still thinking 500 MB ones). We were under the impression that it was fine to install PfE and PI on the same computer as the one Thermo supplied. Maybe more explicit statement in the ordering document for the Dell Precision Workstation would be good (so if Thermo is buying it, they optimize options.

Yes, one can use the Thermo computer for both PFE and NSS, but the OEM provided computer tends to be underpowered and under "monitored" if you know what I mean. See attached computer spec below.

Apparently and unfortunately, Thermo *has to* provide their own computer spec as part of their accounting method- but that makes no sense to me.  But then for me at least, having someone else spec one's computer, makes about as much sense as having someone spec one's underwear...

I generally buy my own computer (to my specs) for scientific instruments, and then just use the OEM computer for Monte-carlo calculations or some other more mundane stuff.

FYI: To edit your previous post, simply click the Modify link.
john
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 04:58:40 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"