Author Topic: stacking BSE images acquired at various Kv’s  (Read 3739 times)

JohnF

• Professor
  • CQ DX DE WA3BTA
    • John's EPMA
stacking BSE images acquired at various Kv’s
« on: October 03, 2017, 02:55:13 PM »
Can anyone come up with the reference/s where someone showed that stacking BSE images acquired at various Kv’s could show something about the upper surface structure in a heterogenous sample?

Thanks.

John

Les Moore

• Professor
Re: stacking BSE images acquired at various Kv’s
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 07:26:27 AM »
Hi John.

I did this in paint where (from memory) there were Pb rich nano (~100nm) particles in the paint.
As I bumped up the kV, the particles close to the surface winked out and those deeper in the coating became visible. 

I took all the images (about 15 in total) and added extra frames by morphing one image into another. Altogether, I made a movie with about 150 frames. Pretty cool.

The reason: to show that you could not, analyse 100nm Pb rich nano particles in paints by "bumping up the kV to get the L lines".   The perceived wisdom was that you could.  No doubt many such Pb nano particles were diagnosed as S or Mo rich when the Pb L lines weren't there.

Not sure I achieved what I set out to do but in the process, it made an interesting movie.
I could email it if interested.

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 08:26:52 AM »
Not sure I achieved what I set out to do but in the process, it made an interesting movie.

I could email it if interested.

Hi Les,
Is the "movie" less than 16 MB?  If yes, you can simply attach it to your post.  I could also make the max attachment size larger if you need. 

Alternatively I can upload the movie for you if you send it to me.
john
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Les Moore

• Professor
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 12:52:26 AM »
hi John,

Finally saw you request.

Here's the image/movie of Ce rich nanoparticles

I took several images 5kV, 7kV, 10kV, 15kV, 15kV, 20kV, 25kV & 30kV of exactly the same area.
I then aligned them and adjusted the contrast so the Ce entities were equally evident in each frame 
I then put them into an animation workshop and created 10 morph frames and then animated the lot into an avi movie that is attached.

It was constructed about a year ago to illustrate a point that you cannot simply bump up the kV to see the Pb L lines and resolve the EDS prone S/Pb issue.
In this case, the particles are in the few 100 nm or sub micron and you would simply punch straight through them.

Now, where are the spreadsheets for "trace element sensitivity levels" and the heating due to electron beam.
I have hunted on the site but they are eluding me.

Les   

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 08:02:37 AM »
Now, where are the spreadsheets for "trace element sensitivity levels" and the heating due to electron beam.
I have hunted on the site but they are eluding me.

Les

Hi Les,
Not sure exactly what you mean but in CalcZAF the (quite simple) calculations for sample temperature rise, are here:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=598.msg5409#msg5409

and calculations for sensitivity are described here:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=121.msg490#msg490

It is nowhere near as extensive (nor as automatic) as the sensitivity calculations in Probe for EPMA, but will suffice in a pinch...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 09:44:01 AM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Les Moore

• Professor
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 10:14:58 PM »
Thanks John,

They were for someone else.
I've told him to download your software.

I recall someone placing a purpose build excel spreadsheet on the server in the past; the distant past ;-)

Les