Author Topic: Any Large Area EDS users out there?  (Read 4498 times)

D.

• Professor
Any Large Area EDS users out there?
« on: March 01, 2016, 11:45:12 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have a 30mm-150mm SDD EDS? I'm wondering at what beam current you start running into problems with throughput and intolerable data artifacts for majors and minors. If you don't want to disuss it openly, please email me. dionysos(_at_)higp.hawaii.edu .

Much appreciated,
Deon.

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
Re: Any Large Area EDS users out there?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 11:54:13 AM »
Hi Deon,

I have a 10mm myself and no detailed info on larger SDD. However, Thermo has as part of their (excellent) webinar series one about choosing the right EDS detector size. Maybe you find some more info in there. Have a look:

http://www.thermoscientific.com/content/tfs/en/about-us/events/microanalysis-webinars.html

Cheers,
Anette
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 01:53:18 PM »
This is a little out of date, but here are some slides on high performance SDDs from 2006 extracted from one of Dale Newbury's lectures (see attached below and remember, you need to be logged in to see attachments!).
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

D.

• Professor
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 10:51:37 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I've seen some of those slides before. They are interesting and helpful.

Someone from Thermo contacted me and was very helpful with specific info that I requested.

I also spoke to someone in Wisconsin who is currently adding a large area detector to their probe.

I think a 30 or 60mm SDD with an extended slide might work out O.K. for my purposes.

Cheers,
Deon.