Author Topic: Running PfE off-line on a single PC to process data from JEOL and CAMECA epmas  (Read 3794 times)

David Steele

• Professor
My current off-line (laptop) setup enables me to process PfE data acquired on the QUT JEOL 8530F EPMA.  However in the near future I hope to be acquiring data from Karsten's CAMECA SX100 at UTas (running PfE) and would like to be able to post-acq process this data on the same laptop (running Win7-64).

Obviously I have to have the two different 'sets' of config and standard, setup files (motors.dat, scalars.dat, crystals.dat, probewin.ini, etc.) for the individual instruments.

My question is how is it best to organise this on a single PC or laptop?  I presume it is not possible to install and use "C:/Probe Software - JEOL" and C:/Probe Software - CAMECA" directories (and run PfE-JEOL and PfE-CAMECA icons/shortcuts....).  However, is it possible to have specific JEOL and CAMECA probewin.ini files in the normal C:/Probe Software directory and simply rename one or the other as needed? What about crystals.dat and the other instrument specific .dat and .mdb files?   

I figure very few of us actually have access to both sides of the EPMA instrument fence so most PfE don't have to concern themselves with this, but John and a few others in Probe Software have to deal with mdb files from both PfE users of instruments, if only in demo mode, so I assume there is an answer 'out there'!

Many thanks in advance,

David

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
My current off-line (laptop) setup enables me to process PfE data acquired on the QUT JEOL 8530F EPMA.  However in the near future I hope to be acquiring data from Karsten's CAMECA SX100 at UTas (running PfE) and would like to be able to post-acq process this data on the same laptop (running Win7-64).

Hi David,
Well if you just want to re-process data in Probe for EPMA you don't need to do anything at all. Simply click "No" to the first question to connect to the instrument, and all the software data re-processing features are there for you for files from either instrument type.

Now, if you really want to have two different "instrument" configurations for running PFE in "demo" (why do you need this?), you can first open a probe run in off-line mode as mentioned above, and then use the File | Export Probe Configuration Files menu to export the MDB file config files to the current app folder, then exit PFE and run it again and this time answer "Yes" to the first question to connect to the instrument in demo mode as described here:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=42.msg659#msg659

On the other hand, what I do usually, since I often just want to switch between a generic Cameca config vs a generic JEOL config, is simply write a small batch file to do this for me.  Then I make two shortcuts on the desktop, one for a JEOL configuration and the other for a Cameca configuration, to switch EPMA gears as it were!

copy scalers.dat "c:\probe software\probe for EPMA\scalers.dat"
copy motors.dat "c:\probe software\probe for EPMA\motors.dat"
copy probewin.ini "c:\probe software\probe for EPMA\probewin.ini"
copy detectors.dat "c:\probe software\probe for EPMA\detectors.dat"
copy crystals.dat "c:\probe software\probe for EPMA\crystals.dat"
copy elements.dat "c:\probe software\probe for EPMA\elements.dat"
copy standard.mdb "c:\probe software\probe for EPMA\standard.mdb
del "c:\probe software\probe for EPMA\probewin.elm"
del "c:\probe software\probe for EPMA\probewin.pha"
del "c:\probe software\probe for EPMA\probewin*.cal"
pause

Just create two of these batch files, each one in a folder containing a set of the appropriate config files... the stage map WMF files can just reside in the PFE app folder.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:00:01 AM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

David Steele

• Professor
Thanks John.

Since the data from the two instruments uses very different standard.mdb files and different hardware configurations I'll probably opt for your batch file approach to 'toggle' between appropriate files for each 'data source'.  Alternatively I guess the two standard database files could be 'selected' manually as needed. 

Cheers,
David

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Since the data from the two instruments uses very different standard.mdb files and different hardware configurations I'll probably opt for your batch file approach to 'toggle' between appropriate files for each 'data source'.  Alternatively I guess the two standard database files could be 'selected' manually as needed. 

Hi David,
Actually it's even better than that.    ;D

If you open a probe database file that was created using a different standard.mdb file from another lab for instance, the program will detect that as seen here:

and then offer you the following choice:

So simply click "Yea" and you will be able to open the probe MDB file and be happily on your way!

John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Just a summary for re-processing data from Probe for EPMA on a remote computer in your office or home:

1. Install CalcZAF.msi
2. Install ProbeforEPMA.msi.
3. Run both CalcZAF and Probe for EPMA one at a time, and using the Help menu update the apps.
4. Copy your probe run MDB file (and BIM file if present) to the remote computer (in a subfolder of UserData).
5. Start Probe for EPMA.
6. Use the File | Export Probe Configuration Files menu to export the probe config files from your probe computer to your remote computer (only need to do once).
7. Re-start Probe for EPMA (usually answer No to the question: Do you want to interface to the microprobe hardware, unless you want to play with the simulation mode in Probe for EPMA).
8. Open your probe run MDB file and re-process your probe run data.
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Just a summary for re-processing data from Probe for EPMA on a remote computer in your office or home:

1. Install CalcZAF.msi
3. Run both CalcZAF and Probe for EPMA one at a time, and using the Help menu update the apps.
4. Copy your probe run MDB file (and BIM file if present) to the remote computer (in a subfolder of UserData).
5. Start Probe for EPMA.
6. Use the File | Export Probe Configuration Files menu to export the probe config files from your probe computer to your remote computer (only need to do once).
7. Re-start Probe for EPMA (usually answer No to the question: Do you want to interface to the microprobe hardware, unless you want to play with the "simulation mode" in Probe for EPMA).

For those interested in learning more about using Probe for EPMA in "simulation mode" to teach students the theory and practice of EPMA (off-line and/or remotely), see this topic here:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=837.0

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan

1. Install CalcZAF.msi
5. Start Probe for EPMA.
7. Re-start Probe for EPMA (usually answer No to the question: Do you want to interface to the microprobe hardware, unless you want to play with the simulation mode in Probe for EPMA).

After following the above steps, when re-processing probe data on an "off-line" PC, I should add that to avoid the message that the standard database is missing some standards, one should copy the standard.mdb file from the "on-line" PFE PC to the "off-line" PC.

This file is found in the C:\ProgramData\Probe Software\Probe for EPMA folder.

This copy operation should be performed again whenever the standard database has been edited on the "on-line" PC.