Author Topic: Satisfied Customer!  (Read 12878 times)

mac

• Student
Satisfied Customer!
« on: June 04, 2014, 04:57:06 PM »
We have used Probe for EPMA on our JEOL 8200 electron microprobe since 2005. We really enjoy using Probe for EPMA for both routine and difficult probe samples due to its integrated design, many powerful quantitative features and flexible imaging capabilities. I highly recommend the Probe for EPMA software system. 

Edit by John: for those who didn't know, "mac" is Chi Ma at Cal Tech.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 02:38:14 PM by John Donovan »

Donggao Zhao

• Post Doc
    • UT Austin Electron Microbeam Laboratories
Re: Satisfied Customer!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 02:12:42 PM »
Yes, the Probe For EPMA software is very user-friendly and versatile. Our users like it very much. I couldn't find any better one. Even better is that services, including assistance and help with other issues related to an EPMA lab, from John are available almost instantly online or over a phone call.  I highly commend John's expertise in EPMA technique and his service and dedication to the EPMA community.

BenjaminWade

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 05:12:22 PM »
Adelaide Microscopy went with the decision to purchase Probe for EPMA to run their Cameca SXFive microprobe in 2013.  It had come highly recommended from many experienced microprobe operators and users worldwide, offering many additional data acquisition and quantification methodologies superior to what the individual vendor software offered.  Its full integration with the SXFive provides a hassle free and efficient setup and running of the microprobe.  It does many things well, including seemingly obvious and simple features like being able to have offline versions of the software on data processing computers without having to purchase extra licenses. 

Like any software it is only as good as the people supporting it, and enough cannot be said about John and his team in this regard.  Any issues, tips, tricks, or suggestions for additional features are always responded to very quickly and resolved without delay.  The Probe Software forum run by John is a priceless collection of knowledge from both John and experienced microprobe users worldwide, and provides a powerful tool for the microprobe operator or user seeking information.  Adelaide Microscopy highly recommends Probe for EPMA to any microprobe operator, novice to expert.

Jeremy Wykes

• Professor
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 04:38:24 AM »
It is a pleasure to use software that has been written with the insight of a probe operator. The features and workflow have been developed to aid the operator, and importantly aid in consistent collection of high quality data. I particularly appreciate that Probe for EPMA produces data in the accessible MS Access MDB format.

Also, it cannot be understated how refreshing it is to use instrument software where the developer is visible, accessible and responsive. John responds rapidly, and importantly, openly to questions from users on the Probe Software forum. I sincerely doubt any instrument manufacturer is either motivated to, or capable of, providing such support.

When was the last time you engaged with the software developers of an instrument manufacturer and had a feature added overnight?
Australian Synchrotron - XAS

Malcolm Roberts

• Professor
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 05:04:32 PM »
I've been using this software since 1999 when it was called Probe for Windows and Probe Image didn't exist. What struck me was the simplicity and rigorous nature of getting things done. Probe Image is a dream and I turn out great stuff - referred to as "flying micro- airborne geochemical surveys".

As for Probe for EPMA, the inbuilt functionality allows otherwise tricky analytical situations to be easily solved generating much better data rather than having to compromise. Sobolev et al's Co in olivine being a prime example as well as F in apatite.

The Mean Atomic Number background correction has been a major game changer for my analytical protocols too although certain die hard conventional users find it too hard to fathom..........

Keep it coming John.......
Cheers,
Malc.

Edit by John: John Armstrong, Jared Singer and I will soon be submitting a new paper that will provide a theoretical and statistical basis for the MAN correction, particularly for trace elements.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 06:06:42 PM by John Donovan »

Dave Wark

• Student
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 09:48:03 AM »
Even though I don't get to use the microprobe much anymore (I keep buying them and turning them over to someone else), it was fun reading through the Donovan et al. abstract for the 2016 MAS conference because it reminded me of the philosophy behind the development and application of Probe software, which is quite simply "Awesome"!    If not for John's efforts and those of the community of users, probe operators world wide would still be working with 20th century software. And (in aggravation) tearing out what hair they had left . . .

Keep up the great work!

Dave Wark

emma_fisi

• Professor
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 11:20:45 AM »
We run Probe for EPMA on our new JEOL 8530F at the Carnegie Institution for Science in Washington DC. We have a very wide range of users, both in terms of ability, and in the types of samples that need to be run. It is clear that the Probe for EPMA software was written by probe users, as it is versatile enough to cope with any sample you could imagine analyzing, while also being accessible for users with limited experience. The developers are incredibly responsive  to any questions or suggestions, fostering a sense of "probe community" that has been both welcoming and an invaluable resource. I highly recommend this program to anyone who has or is thinking of purchasing a probe.

Gareth D Hatton

• Professor
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 01:52:47 AM »
I have been using Probe for EPMA and Probe image on our Jeol 8500F for a number of years now.  I find the flexibility of the software is great as we have to solve many different analytical problems on a daily basis.  For the collection of mapping data, it has enabled the introduction of quantification and through using the MAN background we have improved efficiency.  The community feel of the software and forum is invaluable as a resource as I always know that if I get stuck there is an army of people waiting and interested in helping.  Also, the rapid implementation of new features through the dedication and hard work of John keeps the software fresh, I for one am always learning new things it can do  8)

Ben Buse

• Professor
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 01:55:07 AM »
We been using PFE for a number of years, and the things that mark it out are: the easy to recalibrate using a previous setup, robust statistics (error & det lim), good mapping quantification, and TDI (time dependant intensity correction), and of course John's dedication and continual development of the software

glennpoirier

• Professor
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 11:44:49 AM »
I was looking over some old data the other day (collected using the manufacturer's software) before I reacquired some new data on the same mineral species. I was struck by how the tools I use in Probe for EPMA allow me to be a lot more confident in the data I produce. The ease with which I can use these tools (wavescans, different background models, time-dependant intensities, combined conditions, mean atomic number backgrounds, wide choice of matrix corrections etc.) have allowed me to produce datasets that I believe are more accurate. The workflow in PfE also allow me to produce this data in less time! Great software, would never want to go back to way I used to do things!

Glenn Poirier