Author Topic: Spectral resolution and crystal size  (Read 27958 times)

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: Spectral resolution and crystal size
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 09:26:35 AM »
Did you take into account that most likely most large crystals are Johansson and most "normal" crystals are Johann?

To me it seems much more difficult to align a Johansson crystal, because it is fully focussing, than a Johann crystal.

Anyway I wanted to ask about your alignment procedures, but maybe in another thread. There is something I do not yet fully understand. Because there are multi parameters you can adjust while aligning a crystal: Peak position and the position on the Rowland circle.

I have notes on adjusting the Bragg crystals on Cameca spectrometers, but I have not done the procedure myself. However our instrument engineer recently devised a holder for a laser pointer that mounts in the spectrometer column separation window "tunnel", and used this light beam to align a PET crystal that he had moved from our old SX50 to our SX100 as described here:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=18.msg6949#msg6949

There is also a topic on Bragg crystals here:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=575.0
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 10:09:24 AM by Probeman »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2019, 10:16:30 AM »
I have notes on adjusting the Bragg crystals on Cameca spectrometers, but I have not done the procedure myself.

Are those notes available? I would be interested to learn more about that!

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2019, 10:22:06 AM »
I have notes on adjusting the Bragg crystals on Cameca spectrometers, but I have not done the procedure myself.

Are those notes available? I would be interested to learn more about that!

Next week when I'm back in the lab I will scan my old notes in the SX100 notebook.
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

sem-geologist

• Professor
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2023, 04:26:55 PM »
These threads about cracked crystals made me pretty worried about such possibility on our two SX machines. As far I looked through this forum, I found only reports about TAP and PET crystals cracking. I think I (very unfortunately) can report that the LLIF can crack too :o (a very sudden (less than a week) intensity drop, and clear peak broadening with blunted top). This makes me to wonder what causes could be behind such a cracking. Could the high intensity X-rays contribute to that? Lately I was a bit experimenting with extremely high beam currents (up to 1000nA), could this fatigue the crystal structure of LLIF? (But I think some line of Cameca probes for metals and semiconductors has column tuned for beam currents up to and more than 10µA) Considering that detectors are arranged symmetrically, and if xtals are at similar distance to the sample it will take similar dose of X-rays. So the amount of energy going to the detectors (and XTALS) should be similar. (L)LIF is known to be much lower intensity then compared to LPET or TAP (maximum intensities are much lesser than obtainable on (L)PET or (L)TAP). So considering intensities of diffraction, the question arise - what happens with not diffracted photon energies? I guess these are converted into the heat of XTAL?

This can look like fundamental and quite stupid questions, but on our two machines I never saw any PET or TAP cracked, and now this LIF... One additional factor to take into account is that our standby procedure for affected Field emission equipped SXFive is tailored to prevent column and aperture contamination - that is for standby the e-beam is parked on the stage reference point, and to prevent apertures from unnecessary contamination the whole beam exiting the extractor (1µA) is passed through splash aperture (kind-of bypassing) and movable aperture is took out from the path (there is no aperture at 40µm aperture position, and such empty position is used). So my high current experiments was not creating any exotic conditions for the machine actually as it experiences such conditions every morning/night then finishing the list of programmed analytical work. Well, to be honest the reference point does not produce strong X-rays as the metal of shuttle got covered/beam deposited carbon contamination layer/rubble, thus X-rays from reference point is dominated with low energy C Ka X-rays. But maybe that is the main problem and killer of LIF, as LIF wont diffract any C Ka as it is completely out of range of LIF diffraction - without diffraction whole such X-ray radiation would be converted into heat, and thus LIF would be affected the most. Any ideas?

One is clear, I should modify the standby procedure. I am not sure if lowering stage out from spectrometer axis would not introduce some other problem (i.e. X-rays hitting some electronics of spectrometer turret...). Probably best thing would be to drill the hole at reference point there X-rays would be blanked at standby procedure on FE machine.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 05:35:55 PM by sem-geologist »