Author Topic: Drawings, Graphics and other Useful Items for the SX100/SXFive  (Read 18206 times)

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Drawings, Graphics and other Useful Items for the SX100/SXFive
« on: January 10, 2014, 01:35:19 PM »
I'm starting the topic for people to post drawings and graphics on the SX100/SXFive so we can all pool our collective knowledge.

I'll start by posting this rather nice periodic table optimized for the Cameca instruments put together by Ashley Norris when he was at ANU (see attachment).  Not sure if the original (AI?) artwork is available so it can be modified, but I'll ask Jeremy Wykes.

I printed it large and laminated it and it hangs in my lab and is quite pretty (and useful).

Edit: Made topic "sticky"
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:37:47 PM by John Donovan »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Jeremy Wykes

• Professor
Re: Drawings, Graphics and other Useful Items for the SX100/SXFive
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 12:22:51 AM »
The original implementation of the Periodic Table generator went offline when the computer serving the ANU SX100 website died. I have almost completely resurrected the old website from backups, but it is only accessible within ANU at present.

Fortunately, Ashley has implemented the Periodic Table generator at Oxford. You can find it here: http://www.earth.ox.ac.uk/~expet/ptable/
You will have to select "Custom Settings" for the appearance, and it looks like you will have to upload your own data for the emission line positions.

I will contribute the attached charts. I made these charts so I could visualise the relationship between the units that the probe works in (sin theta) and the units I think in (eV), and also to find a satisfying way to represent the energy ranges accessible to the different analysing crystals. I used the d spacing data from CRYSTALS.DAT and the equation from the relevant section of the Probe for EPMA manual.

On the SX100 it seems that you cannot operate at an angle smaller than ~22 degrees. Does anyone know if this is a hard limit due to the geometry of the system, or is it because the efficiency of the crystals drops away too much to be useful?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 01:23:08 AM by Jeremy Wykes »
Australian Synchrotron - XAS

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 12:35:47 PM »
I was asked recently: how does Probe for EPMA and Probe Image integrate with the existing Cameca PeakSight software, monitors, mouse and joystick on an SXFive instrument?

Since PeakSight is running on the Cameca supplied computer and Probe for EPMA (and Probe Image) are running on the Probe Software or user supplied computer, and both software packages on both computers can be running, connected to the instrument, *at the same time*, there is no problem, just user preferences.

For example, in my lab, we have the 4 Cameca provided 19" monitors which display PeakSight on two of them, and one dedicated monitor for electron imaging and another monitor dedicated to the optical image. Now one could use the two PeakSight monitors with a KVM switch so that one could toggle between PeakSight and Probe for EPMA/Probe Image, but I prefer to have all displays visible all the time.

I generally only use PeakSight to change samples and align the gun, but it is nice to leave the vacuum system display visible all the time, so I have mounted two additional 24" monitors as seen in the photo below, above the Cameca monitors.

Turns out these upper 24" monitors are great for teaching when there are half a dozen students trying to see the screen. It also forces one to sit up straight and maintain good posture when working!

Now, I still use a KVM switch but only to switch the keyboard and mouse between the Cameca software and the Probe for EPMA/Probe Image software. This works very well actually. The joystick is connected to the PeakSight PC and so as long as PeakSight is up and running, one can grab the joystick at any time to move around the sample, as is the case for the dedicated knob control panel for mag, focus, etc, etc...

Now in principle, one can run the Cameca SX100 and SXFive with just Probe for EPMA/Probe Image with the Cameca computer turned off. The PeakSight computer is actually only needed to load the ROM micro-code once when the instrument first boots up, but I like having both systems running at the same time and that is how all users I know do it also. I usually just leave the PeakSight vacuum tab visible and then it's easy to monitor the vacuum, change samples or whatever.

Now as for the Thermo integration that is very straight forward but there are user preferences applied here also. The Thermo computer usually comes on its own computer, but to save space I installed the Thermo NSS software on the same computer as Probe for EPMA/Probe Image. It really doesn't matter, NSS can interface to the SXFive either from its own computer or from ours. If Thermo NSS is on the Probe for EPMA/Probe Image computer, then Thermo NSS just uses the same driver our software uses to connect to the instrument, but if the Thermo is installed on its own computer, then it just uses its own copy of the driver for interfacing to the instrument. All computers just connect to the same instrument network switch. In fact I've even had users who like to run our software from their laptops, but I like big screens, so that isn't what I do.

I should also add that the Thermo software can directly communicate with the SXFive instrument for all functions, stage, column and beam control. And by the way, John Fournelle ordered an SXFive and the Thermo SDD EDS for his lab (arrives Oct?) and since both company headquarters in the US are in Madison, I think we will expect to see even more cooperation between Camerca and Thermo in the future, so start brainstorming on what new cool integration might be possible!

Anyway, the PFE-Thermo EDS-WDS integration is pretty nice. Probe for EPMA acquires a full EDS spectrum with *each* WDS analysis point. Subsequently one can specify additional elements from the EDS spectra and the EDS/WDS quant is performed with full standard k-ratios so the EDS accuracy is excellent and self consistent with the WDS elements.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 05:28:39 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 04:16:57 PM »
Some additional documents that others may find useful. See attached.

These documents may need to be modified for your specific labs.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Jeremy Wykes

• Professor
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 10:30:20 PM »
The obscure reference that details how the Cameca software calculates detection limit.
Australian Synchrotron - XAS

neko

• Professor
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 02:00:57 PM »
Kinda fun chart I made, not exactly sure how helpful it will be for anyone, but it explores the Cameca crystal coverage of the periodic table in polar format. I couldn't tell you why I tried this chart type but everyone likes the look of it. At the very least it's a quick visual demonstration of why we need the various crystals.

The problem is the information on it is old - I only have a chart that covers the old ODPb crystals and haven't found a convenient spreadsheet with the latest crystal line information. If someone has that and wants to send it my way I'll update the chart and provide the xls sheet as well (i'd actually really love a database or spreadsheet with all the current known crystal line information).

Cheers,
Nick

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 02:29:39 PM »
Kinda fun chart I made, not exactly sure how helpful it will be for anyone, but it explores the Cameca crystal coverage of the periodic table in polar format. I couldn't tell you why I tried this chart type but everyone likes the look of it. At the very least it's a quick visual demonstration of why we need the various crystals.

The problem is the information on it is old - I only have a chart that covers the old ODPb crystals and haven't found a convenient spreadsheet with the latest crystal line information. If someone has that and wants to send it my way I'll update the chart and provide the xls sheet as well (i'd actually really love a database or spreadsheet with all the current known crystal line information).

Cheers,
Nick

Very cool!

You can get a nice table for your current crystal config using the X-Ray | Spectrometer Table menu in Probe for EPMA.  Here is the table for my SX100 instrument (attached).  It has only the alpha and beta lines, but does have position info (refractive index corrected) for the PC1, PC2 and PC25 "crystals"...

aburnham

• Post Doc
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 01:48:50 AM »
Does anyone have the diagrams for the spectrometer connection cables? We bought a second hand TAP/LPC2 spectrometer off ebay that came without connector cables. Obviously we can spend some time working out the connections of the existing cables but it would make life easier if we had a good diagram. The book of machine diagrams we have doesn't seem to include the cables...

aburnham

• Post Doc
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 02:12:15 PM »
Thanks, I will pass to our electronics workshop and see if it's enough information for them to recreate the cable. (Boy, it will be good to finally have a second TAP on our probe - and the LPC2 might come in handy sometimes, especially as we already have one regular sized PC2!)

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 11:29:31 AM »
Here is a snapshot of some custom sample holders our machine shop made for us out of Ni plated Al (same as Cameca).

The 5 cm square is for Intel Si wafer "coupons" (and two standard mounts).  The 1.25" and 1.5" sample holders are for metallographic samples, which we run frequently.

I can probably dig up some prints for these if anyone is interested, or I can provide our shop contacts if you'd like to get more information on having some made for you...

« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 12:25:53 PM by John Donovan »

neko

• Professor
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 03:25:33 PM »
I have a question related to the Ni-plated Al - we have a couple pure Al holders that were made in a machine shop here. Does the pure Al vs. Ni-plated Al affect anything in the conductivity of the mount-holder-shuttle-ground loop? And/or anything else? Be pretty embarrassing to find out we've been sabotaging ourselves (I mean, worse than by not owning PfE  ;D ) but if we are we gotta get that fixed.

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 04:26:24 PM »
I have a question related to the Ni-plated Al - we have a couple pure Al holders that were made in a machine shop here. Does the pure Al vs. Ni-plated Al affect anything in the conductivity of the mount-holder-shuttle-ground loop? And/or anything else? Be pretty embarrassing to find out we've been sabotaging ourselves (I mean, worse than by not owning PfE  ;D ) but if we are we gotta get that fixed.

Hi Nick,
I think the Ni plating (actually Ni phosphide) is for wear resistance mainly. It's much harder than Al.

After our machine shop made the above sample holders, they sent them out to a "hard Ni" plating shop in town and they sure made them look beautiful.
john