Author Topic: Standard Materials Available  (Read 9645 times)

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Standard Materials Available
« on: August 01, 2014, 02:46:19 PM »
All,
At the recent Cameca user's meeting (which included a few JEOL users as well!), we discussed some ideas regarding standards. Anette Von der Handt suggested that we start to organize the community to create a priority list of new standard materials that should be developed. Suggestions for new materials should be made to this topic:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=301.0

In the meantime, I thought it might be useful to create a topic of standard materials that exist already and are available in sufficient quantities for distribution.

To start that process I would like to offer an ultra high purity Tim metal produced by growth in 1000 degrees iodine vapor.  This material has been characterized for O, N and C which is quite unusual. The oxygen is the largest contaminant at 80 PPM. The chunk I have is about 10 grams so I could divide it up into a number of pieces. I need to figure out how to cut it up, probably using a wire saw.

To avoid getting overwhelmed by requests for this fine material, I'd like to ask that each requester also reciprocate and post in this topic another standard material that they can provide to the community in exchange for receiving the ultra pure Ti.  So please make your request for this Ti metal in a post where you offer a standard material of your own that you have available for exchange or just for distribution if you don't need a standard material in exchange.

How does that sound?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 05:07:46 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"