Author Topic: Laser ablation trace analysis of standards  (Read 2798 times)

BenjaminWade

• Professor
Laser ablation trace analysis of standards
« on: July 24, 2019, 08:42:24 PM »
Hi all
I am not sure if its of any use to people, but I have attached some recent laser ablation trace element analysis of a bunch of my standards. Some standards may be common between probe users so may be of some use. Take the values with a grain of salt as:

1) Your standard could be from a different batch;
2) I only placed two spots on each standard for obvious preservation reasons, so its not a great representation. As such f the standard is zoned in an element the two spots may vary somewhat for that element;
3) I wanted to collect the data on all standards in one go, so I collected a large range of elements at short dwell times, which compromises detection limits;
4) LA-ICP-MS does not measure major elements well, and as such for the major silicate elements such as Na, Mg, Al, Si, K, Fe etc don't be surprised if they dont match the reference values well. I have just included them for completeness, plus for trace levels of these elements in other phases.
5) Importantly, nothing in the spreadsheet is filtered for potential isobaric or polyatomic interferences, as it would take me a lifetime to go through all the data for that (e.g. Sr interferences on Ca, polyatomic oxide interferences etc);
6) The sulfide standard does not contain a heap of elements, thus some elements on the sulfide worksheet are only listed as background subtracted CPS;
7) The "metals" worksheet is strictly CPS due to standardisation problems for metals. Can still be used to for qualitative purposes (e.g. observe elevated Hf counts in Zr metal etc)

Personally I am more going to use this dataset as reference if I find something unexpected on via EPMA regarding unreported elements for MAN fits, and or background problems for trace measurement.

Do with the data what you will, use at your own risk.

Cheers

« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 09:55:16 PM by BenjaminWade »

BenjaminWade

• Professor
Re: Laser ablation trace analysis of standards
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 10:28:02 PM »
Hi all
Please find an updated version of the spreadsheet I posted earlier. I had a look at it and it appears there was a problem with the L.O.D. method used giving some funny results. The latest version has those fixed amongst some minor other changes.

Cheers

ericwgh

• Post Doc
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 06:38:25 AM »
This is great! Thanks for sharing these data.
Eric

BenjaminWade

• Professor
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 06:56:56 PM »
Hi all
Following on from this work last year (and in the absence of a working microprobe for months awaiting a HV tank repair...), I have acquired more LA-ICP-MS data on the Smithsonian microbeam samples. I have collected 10 spots on each so now have a better average on the minor and trace element composition. There are a few other non Smithsonian standards included in the spreadsheet as they may be more common ones that other people might also have (e.g. OR-1A, Stillwater Plag, Thomas Range Topaz etc)

Hopefully the spreadsheet is self explanatory and is useful to some people.

Cheers