Author Topic: How to use Surfer to display data on images or maps  (Read 2232 times)

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
How to use Surfer to display data on images or maps
« on: June 15, 2017, 01:01:17 PM »
Hi all,

I made a small tutorial that shows how you can use Surfer (version 9 in my case) to display analysis points and also compositional data on images or maps.

Although Picture Snap is great to show analysis points on images, doing it with Surfer gives you full control over colors, fonts, location of labels. I used it here specifically to display my fluorine data in a garnet to look at the distribution.

Maybe this is helpful to others too. I will probably update the tutorial to reflect the most recent version of Surfer when I get around to buy the update.
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: How to use Surfer to display data on images or maps
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 06:18:43 PM »
Hi all,

I made a small tutorial that shows how you can use Surfer (version 9 in my case) to display analysis points and also compositional data on images or maps.

Although Picture Snap is great to show analysis points on images, doing it with Surfer gives you full control over colors, fonts, location of labels. I used it here specifically to display my fluorine data in a garnet to look at the distribution.

Maybe this is helpful to others too. I will probably update the tutorial to reflect the most recent version of Surfer when I get around to buy the update.

Hi Anette,
This is super helpful, especially for new users. Thanks!

Golden Software does change things around a bit with new versions, but this data point "post" feature has been around since the early versions.  See a map I did some time ago on the EETA79001 Martian meteorite:

The little dots on the BSE image show the "context" of the x-ray map acquisition.  I just think it's pretty.
john
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 07:56:00 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"