Author Topic: Removal of Carbon from bell jars, Part 2  (Read 959 times)

Dan MacDonald

• Professor
Removal of Carbon from bell jars, Part 2
« on: January 08, 2021, 05:47:26 AM »
Good morning, everyone:

A couple of years ago, I asked about removing the carbon coat from the interior of a bell jar, specifically regarding a Denton vacc system.  We recently purchased a JEOL IB-29510VET turbo-pump coater and I was faced with the same issue.  Last time, several of you suggested using hair spray, which does work quite well - I have found that VO5 spray works very well.  Also, I have had good success with Micro-90 concentrated cleaning solution.  I apply a very thin coat to the region to be cleaned and wait a few minutes for the Micro 90 to give the coating a wrinkled appearance, and then simply wipe off the residue followed by a rinse using water and then ethanol on large kimwipes to remove any remaining Micro 90 or carbon.  Hopefully someone else will find this useful.  Happy New Year!!

Best regards

Dan MacDonald
Dalhousie University

Dan MacDonald

• Professor
Re: Removal of Carbon from bell jars, Part 2
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 05:04:17 AM »
Hi all:

Another low-tech, cheap way to remove the coating from the jar is to use old news-print, and it seems to work better dry versus wet.  Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Dan MacDonald

jrminter

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 07:14:08 AM »
My favorite method to clean carbon from evaporator bell jars was to use Soft-Scrub followed by a light coating of Mr. Clean. Cleanup was easy with warm water.

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 09:02:12 PM »
I used to use this product (Bell Bright from SPI), but I don't think it's available anymore.

https://umbcmmecenter.umbc.edu/files/2019/07/Bell-Bright-SDS-2.pdf

It was a vacuum compatible water soluble spray coating for bell jars to make them easy to clean.
The only stupid question is the one not asked!