Author Topic: Beam diameter now limited to 50um after version upgrade?  (Read 130 times)

Nathan C.

• Student
Beam diameter now limited to 50um after version upgrade?
« on: March 26, 2024, 11:39:09 AM »
We recently upgraded to Probe for EPMA v13.7.3 on our JEOL 8530 and are now getting an error when trying to set the beam diameter to 100um as we have in past runs.  Is this able to be adjusted somewhere in the software or .ini files?  I did some searching on the forum but am not having any luck locating an answer.  Appreciate any guidance - I'm a fairly new user of the system and software.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: Beam diameter now limited to 50um after version upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 12:03:50 PM »
We recently upgraded to Probe for EPMA v13.7.3 on our JEOL 8530 and are now getting an error when trying to set the beam diameter to 100um as we have in past runs.  Is this able to be adjusted somewhere in the software or .ini files?  I did some searching on the forum but am not having any luck locating an answer.  Appreciate any guidance - I'm a fairly new user of the system and software.

The current version of PFE is 13.8.2, please update when you get a chance.

The reason is that beam diameters larger than say, 15 or 20 um, will experience severe Bragg defocusing resulting in bad quantification. I pray that you are not attempting "defocus beam analysis"!  Please see the poster:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=44.msg145#msg145

It doesn't work. One must average the concentrations, not the x-ray intensities, because x-ray physics is non-linear.  Acquire high resolution x-ray maps and then average the concentrations as in here:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=1151.0

I think we did this a while back when a customer defocused the beam too much and got bad analyses and asked that we not allow so much beam defocus.  But if you really insist, you can check the "Do not set conditions" checkbox in the Acquisition Options dialog and then it won't try to set any beam (voltage, current, size) conditions.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 03:02:23 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"