Author Topic: Using the polygon feature in calcimage  (Read 6835 times)

Malcolm Roberts

• Professor
Using the polygon feature in calcimage
« on: August 02, 2015, 05:24:42 PM »
Now..... I don't know if I am teaching my grannies to suck eggs here, but I though I would share my trivial struggles with the discussion group so that others might find using the polygon feature a little easier than I did first off. I checked the Calcimage manual beforehand and all the information on the polygon feature does is tell you that it does a certain thing, but not how to do that certain thing. As one who likes procedures, this initially did not sit well. The feature worked when I selected the output and followed the instructions, but at a certain point, namely "save the file as digitize.bln" it falls apart. Why? Simple "digitize.bln" is not what you should call the file. It should be called <your original file name>_Qaunt_Polygon.bln. Note that if your file name ends with a"_" then the script will expect to see two"__".
This may seem stupidity on my part but it took a bit of thought and wasted several minutes. When I got past that minor hurdle, the end result was excellent and the user was extremely happy......
Cheers,
Malc.

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: Using the polygon feature in calcimage
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 10:10:13 PM »
Now..... I don't know if I am teaching my grannies to suck eggs here, but I though I would share my trivial struggles with the discussion group so that others might find using the polygon feature a little easier than I did first off. I checked the Calcimage manual beforehand and all the information on the polygon feature does is tell you that it does a certain thing, but not how to do that certain thing. As one who likes procedures, this initially did not sit well. The feature worked when I selected the output and followed the instructions, but at a certain point, namely "save the file as digitize.bln" it falls apart. Why? Simple "digitize.bln" is not what you should call the file. It should be called <your original file name>_Qaunt_Polygon.bln. Note that if your file name ends with a"_" then the script will expect to see two"__".
This may seem stupidity on my part but it took a bit of thought and wasted several minutes. When I got past that minor hurdle, the end result was excellent and the user was extremely happy......
Cheers,
Malc.

Hi Malc,
Well it works fine for me saving the boundary file as digitized.bln...    ???  Note that is "digitized.bln", not "digitize.bln"!

And as far as the "how to" instructions go, the instructions (all 5 steps) are displayed when the Surfer BAS file is run in Scripter as seen in the attachments below.
john

The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Malcolm Roberts

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 11:42:42 PM »
Hi John,
I've rerun this just to prove have was not going mad when I read your post. I called the file digitized.bln as the instructions (which I followed to the "t") state. The attached is what I get. it does not want something called "digitized.bln", but a file specifically named as I laid out in my initial post.
Have I found another bug???
Cheers,
Malc.

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 08:17:56 AM »
Hi John,
I've rerun this just to prove have was not going mad when I read your post. I called the file digitized.bln as the instructions (which I followed to the "t") state. The attached is what I get. it does not want something called "digitized.bln", but a file specifically named as I laid out in my initial post.
Have I found another bug???
Cheers,
Malc.

Hi Malc,
Only you.

First of all are you saving the digitized.bln file to the same folder as your MDB file?  Usually that is the C:\UserData\<Your folder data folder>.

When you create a new CalcImage project, it will do so in the folder of the MDB file. The app then opens and converts all the PrbImg files to that same folder, which is the folder that the digitized.bln file should be saved to.

The only difficulty is that *you* have to save the digitized.bln file to the proper folder, that is the same folder as the MDB file and the CalcImage project file (*.CIP).

We would like to be able to open the "Save As" dialog for the Digitize option in Surfer already in the correct folder, but Golden Software hasn't yet provided a mechanism for us to do that.

In the meantime, you have to make sure that *you* save the digitized.bln file to the proper folder.  I'm guessing that that is the source of your problem.
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Malcolm Roberts

• Professor
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 05:50:03 PM »
John
It is saved in exactly the right place. Exactly where .mdb is, where .cip is and all the rest of the pertinent files.
Cheers,
malc.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 07:52:09 AM »
It is saved in exactly the right place. Exactly where .mdb is, where .cip is and all the rest of the pertinent files.

Hi Malc,
Well, since I and others are not seeing this problem (I'm at M&M right now and I've been asking everyone if they have had any problems with the polygon output and they have not), I am at a loss to explain what you are reporting.

I guess Karsten or I could do a TeamViewer session with you once we get back to Eugene and watch you...?
john

PS Did you modify the script?  You might trying deleting the base scripts and updating the software so they get re-installed. Also have you seen these posts:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=146.msg1294#msg1294

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=305.msg1567#msg1567
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 08:29:42 AM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Malcolm Roberts

• Professor
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 07:01:21 PM »
Hi John... it really doesn't matter and no I didn't modify any scripts. The sole purpose of my posting was to be helpful......
What I posted works for me. Following the instructions did not.
Have fun with the M&Ms.......
Cheers,
malc.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 10:06:38 PM »
Hi John... it really doesn't matter and no I didn't modify any scripts. The sole purpose of my posting was to be helpful......
What I posted works for me. Following the instructions did not.
Have fun with the M&Ms.......
Cheers,
malc.

Hi Malc,
I appreciate the report and I'd like to get to the bottom of it, but I need to think about what would be a method for determining the problem you are seeing.

I'm thinking that after M&M later next week maybe I could log into your computer using TeamViewer when you have a few minutes to show me the issue.

Would that work for you?
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

Malcolm Roberts

• Professor
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 11:51:22 PM »
Sure... let's look at that when you get settled again.
I'd hate to call it a "problem" though, more like "special" behaviour. I can still do everything I need to and output exactly what I want as there is no loss to functionality.
However, I'll more than happily pander to your curiosity.........