Author Topic: Wish List for PFE Features  (Read 225957 times)

Gseward

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
Re: Wish List for PFE Features
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 03:04:19 PM »
John,

I have been using the 'Image Shift' mode on my SX100 to shift the beam position when in spot mode. This is a useful function to re-centre the e-beam with the optical crosshair when I am digitising positions using the optical image. I know for the SX there is a text reminder on the 'Analytical Conditions' window

"Image shift not available below 1095x"

but perhaps you could pop-up a message if a shift has been set but the mag is too low for the shift to be applied? Thanks!

Gareth

Hi Gareth,
Good idea!

I've implemented a warning along the lines you suggest for Cameca instruments like your SX100 because the Cameca image shift units are in microns, so the calculation is easy.

But for the JEOL I'll have to wait until Philippe Pinard gets back on his instrument so we can work out what units JEOL is using for image shift.
john
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 11:09:17 AM by John Donovan »

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 05:26:48 PM »
I'd like to take a moment to start off the new year by thanking all my EPMA colleagues for all their help and support! Most of the features you see in our software are a direct result of scientific collaboration with these talented and dedicated individuals. The following About dialog acknowledges just a few of these amazing people (I can't fit them all in here, but I try- please let me know if I've left someone out that should be included!).

Thank-you again.

John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

BenH

• Post Doc
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 02:36:56 PM »
Would it be possible to devise a way where individual analyses can be under slightly different conditions, (i.e., beam current, counting time, TDI on/off, spot size) without having to set up a new sample under analyze?  Maybe have the system record the conditions?

Thanks!

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 10:20:14 AM »
Hi Ben,
You know, this is a good idea...

We already have a keyword called "UseCurrentConditionsAlways" in the software that Paul Carpenter asked for a long time ago, but I realized that we could modify its action slightly by having the software auto-detect a change in the instrument column conditions made by the operator, and automatically create a new sample if necessary, or simply append data to the current sample if there were no changes in conditions.

How's "self documenting" for you?   8)

I also pulled the keyword into the GUI, so you can change the Use Current Conditions Always flag "on the fly" as seen here:

If you want the software to not automatically set your beam size to zero when an acquisition is finished, you might want to uncheck the "Default Focus" checkbox in the Analytical Conditions dialog as seen here:

Ready to download v. 10.2.3 now.

Edit 02/04/2014: By the way, right now the program checks for these parameters being different if the UseCurrentConditionsAlways flag is set, in order to decide if a new sample should be automatically started.

' Check conditions are different
If sample1(1).takeoff! <> sample2(1).takeoff! Then different = True
If sample1(1).kilovolts! <> sample2(1).kilovolts! Then different = True
If sample1(1).beamcurrent! <> sample2(1).beamcurrent! Then different = True
If sample1(1).beamsize! <> sample2(1).beamsize! Then different = True
If sample1(1).ColumnConditionMethod% <> sample2(1).ColumnConditionMethod% Then different = True
If sample1(1).ColumnConditionString$ <> sample2(1).ColumnConditionString$ Then different = True
If sample1(1).ImageShiftX! <> sample2(1).ImageShiftX! Then different = True
If sample1(1).ImageShiftY! <> sample2(1).ImageShiftY! Then different = True
If sample1(1).beammode% <> sample2(1).beammode% Then different = True
If sample1(1).magnificationanalytical! <> sample2(1).magnificationanalytical! Then different = True

More could be added...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 04:47:39 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 02:07:23 AM »
Hi there,

I would like to have proxy support with username password authentication integrated into PfE to use the update feature from within the software.

Cheers
Philipp

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 11:17:13 AM »
Hi Philipp,
Yes, I have thought about this nice feature, but it's been a question of juggling *assigned* priorities.   ;D

I already have this on my own "to do" list, so it will get implemented eventually.  In the meantime perhaps you'd be interested in our DVD subscription service which provides you not only with a complete set of the latest PFE and PI updates, but also an up to date copy of the user forum, which allows the user to browse the user forum locally from their DVD drive.

Obviously this is only for those labs that cannot have Internet access- like yours.  Here is the email Barb sent out a few weeks ago- perhaps you saw it?

Dear Probe Software Customer,

In this world of Internet connectivity we know that with freedom, come risks for your laboratory security and productivity.

At Probe Software we well aware of these important security issues and have considered options to allow timely updates of our software and access to our on-line user forum, for those customers that are concerned about Internet security and/or have limited access to the Internet.

At this time we are pleased to offer, through DVD based media, our latest software updates, containing bug fixes and new features, and the most current Probe Software user forum content, at a very reasonable subscription cost to your organization.

With your subscription you will receive a DVD containing our current software release and the complete content of our Probe Software user forum, which is locally linked to our software for context sensitive help and advice, at intervals you specify, at $200 per update DVD.

Typical subscriptions models are listed here for your consideration:

1/year           $200/year
2/year           $400/year
4/year           $800/year
1/month        $2400/year

Please contact Probe Software for more details.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 12:24:23 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 11:29:47 PM »
Hi John,

yes, I saw the email about the DVD. Good idea.

However, my lab does have internet access, just through a proxy server. I can browse the web fine. It would just be nice if PfE could also use this proxy server, so I could use the online features within PfE, llike the update button.

Cheers
Philipp

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 11:48:08 PM »
Until I implement a proxy server client in PFE for your updates, I wonder if a VPN "tunnel" would work? Have you asked your IT guys about this possibility?  They would only need to allow a "tunnel" to one of our download sites...
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 08:36:17 AM »
I have been using the 'Image Shift' mode on my SX100 to shift the beam position when in spot mode. This is a useful function to re-centre the e-beam with the optical crosshair when I am digitising positions using the optical image. I know for the SX there is a text reminder on the 'Analytical Conditions' window

"Image shift not available below 1095x"

but perhaps you could pop-up a message if a shift has been set but the mag is too low for the shift to be applied? Thanks!
Gareth

A "too large image shift" error trap is now implemented for both Cameca and JEOL instruments starting in PFE v. 10.2.5.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 05:24:21 PM »
Hi John,

I have some new suggestions for what would be improvements for me. I pack them all in one post, so here it goes:

1. An option that a sound (*ding*) occurs when the automation is finished. My office is next doors and having a sound to alert me would be great.

2. The option that an email is send when automation is finished. I have a couple of people sitting in a different building across campus and with the winter as it is here, I am sure they would appreciate this option. Ideally this option would be checked/unchecked in the analysis options rather than acquisition options (or elsewhere), so that I don't need to create a new acquisition sample just for triggering this option.

3. An option in the analysis window that only acquired samples are shown (similar to the plot window). I often have to create new acquisition samples to change the conditions for different sample set-ups and it gets messy quickly.

4. This one may already exist and then I would be grateful to know how to do it - namely the option to update the sample set-ups. I am very often using the sample set-up option and usually have 3-4 different set-ups for a run that differ in their element setup but also the acquisition conditions. I quite often have to change some minor detail in the probe conditions like the beam diameter or the image shift and right now I am re-creating new acquisition samples for each set-up, read in the new conditions each time, re-save them as a new sample set-up and have to re-apply them to the position. (Or could I forgo all that by force current column conditions? Would that then be applied to digitized sample set-ups?).

Thank you!

Anette

Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2014, 06:51:15 PM »
Ups, forgot one.

5. Love the re-standardization feature but I am missing one option. Usually, I standardize first, acquire a few unknowns to check that everything is ok (trust issues here with both machines and humans) and then send off the whole batch. I would like a re-standardization at the end and also after x hours. When choosing "Acquire standard samples (again)" and "Re-standard interval" it gives me an error message and wants me to add "Acquire standards" but I don't want to re-standardize at the beginning of the batch again, so I ask for either the error message to go away or adding that option. The biggest improvement would be IMO to have a re-standardize automation with the options "every x-hours" and "at the end". This would also improve the usability because I used to find the re-standardize option a bit ambiguous in wording.
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2014, 11:35:42 AM »
1. An option that a sound (*ding*) occurs when the automation is finished. My office is next doors and having a sound to alert me would be great.

Already done!

That is there are already numerous "dings" during acquisition, so it's when the "dings" stop, that you can listen for (might need to turn up your computer speaker volume).

But an even better solution for your request (and requested by John Fournelle many years ago), Probe for EPMA will also play a .wav file of any type when the automation is completed, simply by specifying the .wav file in the Probewin.ini file as follows:

[general]
UseWavFileAfterAutomationString="feelgood.wav"   ; WAV file for automation completion

I've attached a few .wav file examples. For instance, I play James Brown "I Feel Good", while I think John Fournelle uses "Shave and a Haircut".
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 11:38:27 AM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2014, 11:46:54 AM »
2. The option that an email is send when automation is finished. I have a couple of people sitting in a different building across campus and with the winter as it is here, I am sure they would appreciate this option. Ideally this option would be checked/unchecked in the analysis options rather than acquisition options (or elsewhere), so that I don't need to create a new acquisition sample just for triggering this option.

Also already done!

Simply enter an email address and check this box here in the Acquisition Options dialog from the Acquire! window:

The cool thing about this feature is that it not only informs you if an error has occurred during the automation (e.g., blown filament), but it also sends you a progress report every 8 hours and also sends a final notice email when the automation is complete!   8)

Note that you can optionally set the default address in the Probewin.ini file, but the smtp server and other essentials must be specified in the probewin.ini file as follows:

[general]
SMTPServerAddress="smtp.uoregon.edu"      ; email server address for error messages
SMTPAddressFrom="epmalab@uoregon.edu"
SMTPAddressTo="epmalab@uoregon.edu"
SMTPUsername="epmalab"

The application will prompt you for the password when required. Obviously you will need to enter your own smtp server information in your own Probewin.ini...

How's that sound?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 11:49:05 AM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2014, 06:05:42 PM »
3. An option in the analysis window that only acquired samples are shown (similar to the plot window). I often have to create new acquisition samples to change the conditions for different sample set-ups and it gets messy quickly.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean.  Do you mean an option so you only see samples with data (no asterisk)?
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2014, 06:12:07 PM »
4. This one may already exist and then I would be grateful to know how to do it - namely the option to update the sample set-ups. I am very often using the sample set-up option and usually have 3-4 different set-ups for a run that differ in their element setup but also the acquisition conditions. I quite often have to change some minor detail in the probe conditions like the beam diameter or the image shift and right now I am re-creating new acquisition samples for each set-up, read in the new conditions each time, re-save them as a new sample set-up and have to re-apply them to the position. (Or could I forgo all that by force current column conditions? Would that then be applied to digitized sample set-ups?).

Hi Anette,
There is an easier way!  Just create an empty sample for each sample setup you want to use (do not acquire data to it).

So if the sample (setup) has no data, simply make the additional changes to that sample (setup) from the Analyze! window (Count Times, Analytical Conditions, Calculation Options, whatever) by selecting that sample (setup) and click the appropriate button for the sample changed desired and the Automate! window will automatically include those changes in the next automated acquisition.

Essentially it is best to think of a sample setup as simply a "pointer" to an empty sample which contains certain specific elements and acquisition and analysis options. If you make changes to the sample being "pointed to", the next acquisition using that "sample setup", automatically utilizes those changes in the next acquisition.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 06:22:32 PM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400