Author Topic: EPMA Sample Preparation Discussion Board  (Read 11941 times)

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
EPMA Sample Preparation Discussion Board
« on: February 07, 2014, 02:29:54 PM »
This board is intended to focus attention on topic related to EPMA sample preparation, including but not limited to polished sections, polished thick mounts, drop and spin cast nano-particles and thin film samples.

Topics may include sample procurement, handling, storage, grinding, polishing, and coating.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

dawncruth

• Professor
Standard block polishing approach?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 03:46:30 PM »
This might be the appropriate location for this question.

I am finally going to make new standard acrylic standard blocks that will make regular re-polishing easier.

Given that the block will consist of materials that polish more/less easily do folks have a recommended polishing protocol? For example, should I load the hard materials and start polishing those and then load my softer materials?
Or should I consider standard placement in the puck?

The reason I ask is that I have a lot of Smithsonian standards I'll need to prep and we all know how tiny those are. I will also have other small, hard to obtain materials to polish as well.

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: EPMA Sample Preparation Discussion Board
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 04:35:38 PM »
It is quite painful to mount small fly specks in a large mount. The curvature produced from the epoxy cure will become your bane.

Also I would avoid the Smithsonian standards unless you can get larger quantities, enough to not worry about sample prep.  Personally I hope such inhomogeneous, inclusion ridden materials (and in such miniscule amounts!) will soon become obsolete for reasons discussed here:

https://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=1415.0

The future (I believe) are high purity, stoichiometric synthetic standard materials.  We've already started with MgO, Al2O3 and MgAl2O4. Next we will be obtaining synthetic SiO2 and silicates such as Mg2SiO4. Along with synthetic Fe3O4 and YIG, etc.  *Globally* available standards!

Instead concentrate on high purity synthetic standards and calibrate your dead time constants carefully.  Making standard mounts is a lot of work, so we might as well utilize the best materials available.
The only stupid question is the one not asked!