Author Topic: System maintenance/fix-it tips and tricks  (Read 13317 times)

DavidAdams

• Professor
Re: System maintenance/fix-it tips and tricks
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2023, 11:25:35 AM »
Hi everyone,

So here's my scenario:

There's something going on with my Spectrometer 2. Every year since the instrument was installed in 2019 at about the 11-12 month mark the spectrometer drive wire breaks. This spectrometer doesn't get a bigger workout than any of the other 4 spectrometers on my instrument, in fact it probably moves less overall during an average analysis than the other spectrometers. This year's even happened in October and the service engineer didn't come out to fix it for 6 weeks leaving a big hole in the capability of my instrument. The service engineer is also not interested in diagnosing or investigating why this particular spectrometer is experiencing this problem and 6 weeks is way too long to wait for a repair service.

My questions are:

Do people here have experience personally replacing the drive wire on JEOL spectrometers? If so, could you share the process with the rest of us so that we can perform this bit of maintenance competently?

Thanks!!
David Adams
The University of Auckland
Faculty of Science | School of Environment

Scott B.

• Global Moderator
  • Post Doc
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2024, 03:17:25 PM »
Greetings,

Didn't hear about your issue till the Newsletter just showed up. Hopefully it's still helpful for the future.

I have an 8500F, but I'll assume it has the same configuration as your machine.

Are you referring to the belt that actually drives the spectrometers (flat gray band) or the braided silver wire with loops at each end that tensions the assembly, and runs around a bunch of pulleys all over the place?

If it's the drive belt, that's something you can certainly do for yourself, though it's pretty annoying, as there's a sort of Mobius Strip folding loop trick to get it installed correctly, and you have to get the loop the right way or it rubs.

The wire, on the other hand, requires removal of the baseplate assembly, which is a pretty hard core procedure that also requires the skill to do a baseplate alignment procedure after reinstall.

If it's the belt that's failing, I wonder if it has been repeatedly installed incorrectly? Believe me, it's easy to do, and I've spent hours staring at the tricky fold/loop trying to decide if I got it right, and even seen technicians second guess themselves. It's also possible that you're just having bad luck. The JEOL Rube Goldberg design is prone to belt/wire failure. I've probably had an average of 1 a year since I've been in the driver seat, but one per year on the same spectro seems excessive even for a JEOL...

Feel free to contact me offline if you'd like more information on the process.

Cheers,

Scott B.

boroughs@probesoftware.com
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 04:12:38 PM by John Donovan »

DavidAdams

• Professor
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2024, 06:53:40 PM »
Hi!

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I missed it from so long ago!!

It is indeed the braided wire and not the belt that continuously fails. It’s possible that the JEOL service engineer is missing something but it also could be a manufacturing defect with this spectrometer. The wire is the piece that fails most frequently on it but I have had to replace the motor O-ring multiple times, the belt has gone twice and the detector has had to be replaced. I think I just got a lemon SP2!

I might send you an email to discuss getting more info about the replacement procedure!

Best,
Dave
David Adams
The University of Auckland
Faculty of Science | School of Environment